I lost my boy yesterday

(16 Posts)
EnglishBreakfastTea Fri 07-Aug-20 09:15:33

He was only 2, my first dog. He was the sweetest, most gorgeous spaniel ever. He was fit and healthy then within the space of 15 mins he collapsed and was seriously ill. He put up a great fight but in the end his poor little body gave up. I'm not even sure why I'm writing this but I need to tell someone about him, it's so unfair. The worst bit is I wasn't even there with him, I'm visiting family and couldn't get home in time. The vets were amazing and they managed to FaceTime me to say goodbye while my husband held him. I just can't believe he's gone

OP’s posts: |
petalpower Fri 07-Aug-20 09:17:04

You poor thing. That’s dreadfully sad. flowers

Marlena1 Fri 07-Aug-20 09:25:46

This is so sad, I am so sorry for your loss. flowers

Notonthestairs Fri 07-Aug-20 09:27:37

I'm so sorry - I hope you can take comfort from your husband being there. thanks

Realitybites21 Fri 07-Aug-20 15:27:57

Didn’t want to read & run.

So very, very saddened to hear this. flowers

It’s utterly heartbreaking and I’m so sorry.

EnglishBreakfastTea Fri 07-Aug-20 15:32:11

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. We're arranging to collect his ashes and have found a plant named after him so he'll always be in our garden with us

Baybetterdays Fri 07-Aug-20 17:15:27

So sorry OP. I lost my old boy on Monday which was planned and at the end of a long life and it’s still heartbreaking. The house is just a house without him. Be kind to yourself.

Advertisement

petalpower Tue 11-Aug-20 07:36:29

How are you doing @EnglishBreakfastTea? I’ve also got a young spaniel and just can’t imagine what you’ve been through.

EnglishBreakfastTea Tue 11-Aug-20 08:40:52

Thanks for thinking of me! It's been a very strange few days.... I can't bring myself to move his crate, toys or food bowls so it's like he's just gone on holiday for a bit. I still half expect him to come running back through the door and flop in his favourite spot by the door! It's just going to take time to adjust. One thing I have discovered though is that he had stashed tennis balls all over the house, I keep finding them in very random places! Every time I find one it makes me smile. I miss him lots

petalpower Tue 11-Aug-20 10:38:41

He sounds a very loved and missed boy. How lovely that you are still able to smile when you find his tennis balls.

OliveToboogie Tue 11-Aug-20 12:40:45

So sorry for your loss 🐾🐾🐾

Mrsmchammer Tue 11-Aug-20 18:49:06

I am so sorry for your loss. Ive no doubt you are heartbroken. I love that he has stashes of tennis balls about the house for you to find and make you smile flowers

Marylou62 Tue 11-Aug-20 19:47:16

English..I've never read many of the obviously sad posts on The Doghouse because I didn't ever want to think about it..But our DDog is coming to the end of his long happy life..(13 yrs). Springer too.
I can't ever say I know how you feel but I'm gutted for you..2 years old..That's not fair..Thinking of you..

notashotasthepreviousyear Wed 12-Aug-20 08:06:15

so very sorry to hear this, sending a hug .

EnglishBreakfastTea Fri 14-Aug-20 10:03:02

Well our lovely boy arrived home last night in a beautiful box. The vets were so amazing, they'd thought of everything, they had even taken a paw print and snipped a lock of his hair so I can always have a bit of him close by! He's currently sat in his crate waiting for the rain to stop so he can come on his final walk. Im feeling a lot more at peace now, yes I still miss him but he had the BEST two years with us (seriously, he was treated like royalty!) and the way that the vets took care of him in his final hours, he must have known he was loved. Thanks for all of your thoughts too, I know it seems silly but talking about him and knowing that others were thinking about him has really helped. Dogs really do enrich our lives! Love to all of your special girls/boys star

Kaykay066 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:53:47

So sad, at such a young age too. Our boy passed at 11 in may and we are still devastated tbh tears right now there will never be another dog like him. So sorry for your loss. We have a lovely oak box with him in my son keeps it with him and his girlfriend painted a lovely picture of him for us
RIP to your lovely boy

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in