How to protect small dog from ticks?

(5 Posts)
ekidmxcl Sun 19-Jul-20 12:59:58

My dog (Maltese, just under 5kg) has advocate for fleas every month and also droncit every 3 months for worming.

He has increasingly had a lot of tick bites and whilst I can usually remove them with the tick tool, sometimes the tick breaks and other times, it’s really difficult to find the ticks in his hair.

He is handled a lot by my kids and goes in our beds so I am not keen on a seresto collar. Any ideas welcome. He takes pills ok so that would be my preference.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Sun 19-Jul-20 13:12:47

I use nexgard spectra which treats fleas, ticks and worms including lung worm.

It's a monthly tablet.

The fleas and ticks do have to bite to die. I live in a very high tick area and BiteyDog gets them all over including around his eyes and eye lids. I wait 24hours after noticing any and then I can scrape them off as they are dead or find that they drop off naturally.

ekidmxcl Sun 19-Jul-20 13:23:09

Thanks, that sounds a lot better than the advocate as the advocate stays on the dog’s neck and absolutely stinks.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Sun 19-Jul-20 13:25:21

I used advocate initially for fleas and worms but the smell unsettled my dog and we used to have 1-2 days of him not settling or sleeping. That was a big reason for looking for a different treatment that wasn't a spot on.

Sitdowncupoftea Sun 19-Jul-20 14:25:10

I use Bravecto its a tablet and lasts three month. I'm up on the moors regular. This year is worse for ticks than I have ever seen before. If a tick does happen to latch on its dead within 2 hours and falls off within 24. I can't fault bravecto. I have two large dogs I was on moors last week. I put a brush in my van and got 15 off one dog and 11 off another. These ticks did not latch on just on their fur. I always make sure I spray myseld with a deet free tick repellant too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in