Is this normal or possibly dysplasia?

(5 Posts)
Borderstotheleftofme Fri 17-Jul-20 21:30:17

DDog is getting older now, I’m noticing she is a little stiff at times and tiring quicker on walks but that aside she’s ‘normal’

She has always had something of an odd gait when viewed from the back, I’ve always thought it to be due to poor conformation as she’s never showed any sign of discomfort, she’s a bit cow hocked and I’m wondering now with the tiring and stiffness if it might actually be abnormal and a problem she’s always had, like dysplasia or similar that’s now getting worse as she ages?

The pictures aren’t great but I hope they maybe illustrate the gait; when viewed from the back and walking quickly her back legs seem very close together, often so close that the back paws seem to almost criss cross infront of each other

OP’s posts: |
oo0Tinkerbell0oo Fri 17-Jul-20 21:38:59

Signs of Hip Dysplasia can be bunny hopping when running, dragging/scuffing back feet, a swagger when walking....i cant think of anything else, these were my dogs traits.

Sitdowncupoftea Fri 17-Jul-20 21:51:57

If your dog is getting older it may be arthritis. I would have thought hip dysplasia would have appeared earlier ? How old is your dog.

Borderstotheleftofme Fri 17-Jul-20 22:03:41

She’s about eight

OP’s posts: |
oo0Tinkerbell0oo Fri 17-Jul-20 23:42:56

Yes Hip Dysplasia is usually there from birth as far as i'm aware. I had my dogs confirmed by an xray at 1yr old, it wasn't deemed serious enough for surgery and 7 years later he still isn't bothered by it. It hasn't gotten any worse.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in