My girl getting spayed

(3 Posts)
drinkingwineoutofamug Wed 15-Jul-20 10:28:25

My lovely girl is re booked for her spaying. We missed out in March due to covid. Before I get jumped on , no vets in my area were doing spays. Only emergency appointments.
She is a mixture of sight hound and shepherd.
Shes 3 , 18 months when my daughter found her in cellar and the vet wouldn't spray her then as we needed a 'known season' and personal life did get in the way ( daughters mh etc)
So what I'm asking is, and I know the vets will take good care of her, what are the risks? I've read about sight hounds and the risks of ga.
can anyone put my mind at ease.

OP’s posts: |
GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Wed 15-Jul-20 12:34:32

I think the risks are generally low and vets IME take very good care of the dogs in their care.

If you are really worried, it's worth remembering that spaying is not a requirement of dog ownership. Yes, seasons are a nuisance, and an unspayed bitch risks pyometra, but it is as well to let a dog fully mature provided you can control what dogs she meets when in season. My parents' dog lived to 17 and was never spayed.

drinkingwineoutofamug Wed 15-Jul-20 13:03:20

Thank you. I thought about not getting her spayed. We are careful when she's in season , early/late walks , never off lead. But when I've mentioned it to other dog owners they look at me gone out as if I'm a unfit dog owner. I want what's best for her. One plus point, she hates boy dogs. She growls at them when in season and sits down but other bitches she's all over 🙄
But my other side dreads the thought of her getting caught, puppies and the further expense. There's already too many dogs in shelters or sold on line as it is.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in