Best sofa fabric for dog owners that isn’t leather

(4 Posts)
TinyGarden Mon 13-Jul-20 10:39:22

Ooh that’s sounds very encouraging @fivedogstofeed!

OP’s posts: |
fivedogstofeed Mon 13-Jul-20 10:09:56

A dog friend talked me into cotton velvet sofas. I was dubious, but actually several years into the experiment they've been really good. We also have lots of throws.
The main thing is that dog claws don't catch on the fabric, so anything tweedy or textured is a disaster if your dogs jump on and off the furniture as mine do constantly

TinyGarden Mon 13-Jul-20 07:59:26

N.B. Before anyone says the best type of sofa fabric is one that a dog is not allowed to sit on - it is far too late for that I’m afraid blush.

TinyGarden Mon 13-Jul-20 07:56:02

We are having to choose a new sofa fabric (we’re not going for leather based on too cold in winter, hot in summer etc).

We cover our sofa with blankets and change and wash them, but I’m still keen to get a fabric that is pet friendly.

After much research on best sofa fabrics for pets on the internets, I was ready to go for 100% polyester.

However, have just read that when it comes to clothes, smelly microbes love polyester and have a party on it, which is why polyester gym clothes smell so much more than cotton (not that you’ll see me very often in the gym to verify this).

I would love a fabric that is less likely to trap doggy smells, so am now thinking a cotton / man-made mix might be better.

Our dog doesn’t scratch sofas, so am thinking maybe we don’t need the hardwearing polyester recommended for cat owners.

What would other dog owners recommend? Would cotton be a good idea or madness? Would something like chenille be a good choice or bad choice due to deeper pile? Am getting so confused. (One thing we don’t have to worry about is hairs, as our dog doesn’t shed.)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in