Anyone got 4 dogs

(35 Posts)
Veganforlife Sun 12-Jul-20 15:22:34

I’ve got 3 already ,2 rescues,and a neighbour is rehoming one ,that I really like
But it’s madness surely
Any one with 4 .
The new dog will be the youngest and smallest

OP’s posts: |
icedaisy Sun 12-Jul-20 15:30:54

Yes four in house and workies outside.

Costs obviously go up.

Verging into pack mentality sometimes, have to watch for that. Barking. One sets them all off. I'm looking at you smallest dog.

Holidays, lots will take up to two, some three, never seen four allowed.

Could you have it to stay for a day or so if keen? See how it settles.

I suppose other issue might be old owner being so close. Risk of interfering and dog pining for them. At least a clean break they don't potentially see them every day.

Veganforlife Sun 12-Jul-20 15:35:02

Neighbor had a adult child move back home with the dog so it’s not lived near me long

Veganforlife Sun 12-Jul-20 15:36:51

I suppose I’m a bit worried what people will think ,I’ve got 4 children,and people do like to comment,so I’m just thinking what will folks say when I walk 4 dogs
It is hard work walking 3 ,but is 4 any harder ? 2 in each hand

Veganforlife Sun 12-Jul-20 15:38:59

I suppose I’m asking
Is 4 really any harder than 3

icedaisy Sun 12-Jul-20 15:41:13

So dog specific I suppose. One to two was hardest for me, after that made no real difference.

LochJessMonster Sun 12-Jul-20 15:46:46

What breeds? 4 German shepherds or Great Danes might be a bit impractical (in terms of food, space, walks etc) whereas 4 chihuahuas less so.

Advertisement

BrokenBrit Sun 12-Jul-20 15:46:57

I have had four. Things to consider are:

- can you transport them? 4 dogs usually require a van or a large crated car.
- can you afford them/ insurance/ food/ training etc
- do they all get on? Have you had the other dog to stay? Are your existing dogs all fond of new dogs?
- Will you need to walk them separately? Different dogs obviously have different exercise needs, are all yours similar? Can you physically manage 4 dogs? Maybe you will have to walk them in 2’s, do you have time for this?
- do you have space at home for 4 dogs?
- holiday cottages that accept 4 are very few and far between. Would you forgo holidays? Or use kennels?
- is the new dog used to be an only dog? It may be overwhelming to go and live with 3 bigger older dogs if so.

Hope that’s a little food for thought. It can work but it can also be tricky depending on individuals personalities and dynamics as a group. Good luck!

Veganforlife Sun 12-Jul-20 15:54:18

I’ve a pug cross chihuahua , miniature pinscher cross Chihuahua, and my mum’s old boy who’s 10 and a miniature schnauzer.
Yes to a big enough car

Veganforlife Sun 12-Jul-20 15:56:00

I want the new dog ,but I don’t think I’m being sensible

Sarahlou63 Sun 12-Jul-20 15:56:15

I have 7 blush

Floralnomad Sun 12-Jul-20 15:58:12

I actually think it depends how well trained your current dogs are . I know someone with 3 labradors and it’s fine because they are well behaved equally I know people with 2 or 3 small dogs that are a nightmare because they have no manners .

Veganforlife Sun 12-Jul-20 15:58:45

7 wow
How is it walking them
Are they the same breed

Sarahlou63 Sun 12-Jul-20 16:06:17

I have a small farm in the back of beyond so they walk themselves (in shifts!). Eldest is 13, collie x Serra de Estela (Portuguese mountain dog), next is 10, medium sized mutt (and blind for the last 7 years), the brothers are 7 and also mutts, the only female is 6 and has a lot of German shorthaired pointer blood, the baby is a 3 year old Irish Setter and the "dog who turned up one day and never left" is probably around 8 and is also some type of hunting dog. When he's not trying to get on your knee.

Sunnydayshereatlast Sun 12-Jul-20 16:08:33

We have 4 ddogs and 5 dc at home.
Oldest ddog was pts in Feb so actually had 5 then..
Walked together as a couple or family walk with dc along also. I high maintenance breed (Husky) so she is walked more often and for longer..

Veganforlife Sun 12-Jul-20 16:10:57

I have to decide soon ...

JazzleRazzle Sun 12-Jul-20 16:12:19

No, NOT mad at all!!

If he/she gets on ok with you and the others (even if not immediately - it may take a couple of weeks to shake down and everything to settle - don’t give up straight away if it is a bit bumpy!) and you want him/her then offer them a home!

We’ve got way more than four - Chihuahua crosses and a couple bigger! Love them all to bits!! You are always warm on the sofa!!

Stuff what everyone else says!! Join some of the Chihuahua Facebook groups and you will see - loads of people have way more than four - 6/7 plus is not uncommon. Some people have 12/14 - it makes them happy, the dogs are loved and have the best lives!

Anyone that judges, it is because dogs are not their thing. Golf isn’t my thing - I cannot get why people want to spend time playing Golf when they could be hanging out with dogs!!

If people judge you, then you are hanging out with the wrong people!

We love our dogs, our friends all love their dogs - four is a small number of dogs in our circles.grin

And before anyone asks, yes our house is clean (though we do go through hoovers as they last 18 months before they die!!), yes they are all vaccinated, food is bought in bulk (cheaper) and budgeted before human food, vaccinations etc are all done (we have a dog medical savings fund that we pay into each month - we do that rather than insurance as it is more cost effective) and they are all loved to bits.

Veganforlife Sun 12-Jul-20 16:19:37

I can afford the food ,the insurance,and everything,mine all have the best food and the best pet insurance,the car is a big people carrier ,for 1 child and 3 dogs ,other dc are adults with their own cars .
My garden is small though ,2 dogs are small that I have and it’s big enough for them ,the old boy would probably like more garden,but he sleeps a lot now .

Bigsighall Sun 12-Jul-20 16:21:25

All 4 of those just about make 1 big dog so go for it 😂

JazzleRazzle Sun 12-Jul-20 16:26:37

If you can afford everything then what are you waiting for? Go and get him!!

A small garden isn’t an issue for small dogs. They will cope - particularly if they are going out for walks etc. Garden size is way down on their happiness list...

Honestly, don’t overthink it. Will he be loved, fed, given attention and medical treatment when needed? If yes, then that’s a bloody good life for a dog!

If you are questioning whether you can provide a good enough life, then just look at the situations that some poor dogs live in, in other countries and over here. It is heartbreaking.

By giving this boy/girl a home (and putting your numbers up by one, which you will barely notice) you are freeing up a home elsewhere for another dog to go to.

Veganforlife Sun 12-Jul-20 16:28:01

She’s a tiny girl ,2 years old ,a sausage dog

Sunnydayshereatlast Sun 12-Jul-20 16:32:17

4 is better. No middle ddog syndrome!!

JazzleRazzle Sun 12-Jul-20 16:34:06

Is she spayed yet? As that will need to be a priority when (note WHEN not IF grin) you get her?

Dachsunds are the most loyal dogs ever. We’ve got a Dachshund - cross and he is such a people dog! His happiness revolves around being near you.

If you don’t get her - how much will you regret it? There’s nothing you can do at that point - she will be gone.

If you do get her, you have years of love ahead of you.

Veganforlife Sun 12-Jul-20 16:36:38

Not spayed ,no ..so that will have to be done ASAP

JazzleRazzle Sun 12-Jul-20 16:37:04

Seriously having FOUR dogs is NOT a reason not to get her at all.

Other people’s views and comments shouldn’t even be on your radar.

From what you have said, I can’t see a single reason not to get her.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in