Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your favourite every breed?

(84 Posts)
farmertom Sat 04-Jul-20 12:40:27

Currently have a miniature dachshund, not my choice and not my fave breed (though obviously a lovely little guy) he has had lots of medical problems.
Growing up I always wanted a big dog, an Alsatian or a rotty, but as I've got older and had kids I don't know whether I'd ever get one.
I love Staffies and had a gorgeous boy but the reactions I got from people put me off getting another.

I love Jack russells, think they are perfect little things.
I would always get a cross breed in future.

Tell me about your doggos and your fave breeds ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

OPโ€™s posts: |
Stellaris22 Sat 04-Jul-20 13:13:19

I've always loved hounds and currently have our first ever basset hound. Originally wanted a sight Hound like a whippet but DH was insistent on a basset. Glad to be proved wrong as I'm completely in love with the breed. I like other breeds like staffies but would only ever have hounds. Stubborn, strong willed but so completely full of love and character.

Stellaris22 Sat 04-Jul-20 13:15:32

Pic of course!

Branleuse Sat 04-Jul-20 13:18:59

I LOVE a well trained staffie.
Such clever, tuned in, affectionate dogs. Ive had other dogs and love other dogs, but theres something really special about staffies. Its like they are trying to work out what you are thinking.

PollyPolson Sat 04-Jul-20 13:36:49

Border collies without doubt the best dogs ever smile

Clever, energetic, bright, funny, loyal, fun, and a little bit weird.

farmertom Sat 04-Jul-20 13:42:43

@Stellaris22 oh my goodness he is lovely ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ so squishy!
We had a beagle who we sadly lost a few months ago. He was lovely but SO stubborn and obsessed with food! I couldn't handle a dog that stubborn again ๐Ÿคฃ

bluesapphirestars Sat 04-Jul-20 13:44:02

stella I need that dog!

I wonder if I would BU to buy a basset hound instead of a pregnancy pillow, much then same job, right? grin

farmertom Sat 04-Jul-20 13:44:44

@Branleuse I agree, I think they are just so intuitive and bright, and such lovely looking dogs in my opinion.

LochJessMonster Sat 04-Jul-20 13:45:52

I donโ€™t have one yet but my favourite ever breed are cavaliers. They are so soft looking and beautiful.
Shame about the health problems.

farmertom Sat 04-Jul-20 13:46:22

@PollyPolson grew up with a beautiful collie, such loyal dogs and so good with kids, well ours was.

I think I'd get a short haired breed in future though.

rooarsome Sat 04-Jul-20 13:46:53

I have a St Bernard and she's a big soft lump ๐Ÿ˜‚ for such a big dog she's very gentle, loving and playful. She adores the kids too. I had one growing up who was a slobber monster but mine doesn't really slobber at all really

farmertom Sat 04-Jul-20 13:48:17

@bluesapphirestars Definitely NU! He's the right shape ๐Ÿ˜

farmertom Sat 04-Jul-20 13:49:26

Omg a St. Bernard ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ can we have a pic or understand if you'd prefer not

bravotango Sat 04-Jul-20 13:49:29

I grew up with working cockers - lovely dogs. Also had a neighbour with a Bernese Mountain dog who was a gently fluffy giant, real softie!

farmertom Sat 04-Jul-20 13:51:34

@bravotango I think Bernese mountain dogs are one of my favourite breeds ever but then I think of all the hair!!!

seaswimmer1 Sat 04-Jul-20 13:54:03

Petit Bassett griffon vendeen. love him to bits but hes hard work.. like a Beagle but with more brains.gin

treefrograbbit Sat 04-Jul-20 13:55:41

Berners!!

Bernease mountain dogs are just the most huggy, smart and amazing dogs they are cute as pups and just get better. They don't moult half as much as retrievers and are the perfect size.. also they are very goofy.

IsMiseMorag Sat 04-Jul-20 13:58:12

Bassets are my absolute heart dogs.Gentle, funny, squishy, affectionate, bit slobbery but that's easily overlooked, given everything else. We were all so devastated when our last basset died that we agreed as a family not to even try to replace him for a good few years, as it just wouldn't be fair on the new dog.

(We got an even hairy, dafter hound instead.)

Harriedharriet Sat 04-Jul-20 14:01:39

www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fthehappypuppysite.com%2Flong-haired-german-shepherd%2F&psig=AOvVaw3WUw66y2TPq7I8AVIkRElr&ust=1593953930844000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCIjFyaDTs-oCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI
Long Haried German Shepherd. Have had lots of dogs in my life time but these fellas are incredible. Funny, smart, marevllous with children, emotional as anything! Wonderful breed. Our guy is my favourite child. {grin}

RatInADollhouse Sat 04-Jul-20 14:22:02

@Stellaris22 I love your dog! He has such a wise face.

Iโ€™m partial to hounds as well esp when they are tricolor.

Doobydoo Sat 04-Jul-20 14:24:33

Jack Russell
Irish Terrier
Tge ones we have and have had are bonkers but great with children.
I also like Springers.

SewingWaspish Sat 04-Jul-20 14:29:24

Airedale terrier. Easily trained (not stubborn like everyone says), brilliant with kids, a great deep bark when you need it, comically conversational, very affectionate, wants to join in every hug, total clown given the opportunity.

Stellaris22 Sat 04-Jul-20 14:30:59

@RatInADollhouse not wise at all! She barks at the open door to be let in.

But very squishy and demanding of attention, we all adore her. Only downside is the constant moulting. Tricolours are my favourite too.

MimsyBorogroves Sat 04-Jul-20 14:34:14

I had a basset and I adored him. He had separation anxiety which broke my heart.

Staffies are amazing. Smiley, happy comedians.

I have a lab now. Never would have wanted one but now I see the appeal - so clever, loyal and affectionate, but a bit independent. The walking kills me though.

Beetlewing Sat 04-Jul-20 14:36:19

I have a whippet. Beautiful to look at, well behaved (mostly) and they're happy to spend the day curled up indoors if it's too cold for walkies (like me)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in