Talk

Advanced search

GSD just tried to bite DS 4

(679 Posts)
ElizabethMountbatten Sat 20-Jun-20 10:58:00

Our GSD just tried to bite DS4. A week ago, she was growling at him and I told her no. Checked to see if it was resource guarding but none of her toys were there and I don't let DS harass her. She's almost 2 years old. We've had her from 9 weeks old. Anyway, today DS climbed down from the sofa to pick up the toy he dropped and I saw as if in slow motion, dog opened her eyes, drew back her lip, snarled and lunged. I threw my leg in the way. She still connected with his face. Long tooth graze, bruise and blood drawn behind the ear from a tooth puncture.

What do I do about this?? If I hadn't been there.... it gives me the shivers!! She's never been like this. We had a problem a while ago with her barging me out of the way and ignoring me, and we worked on that and I have come to love her very much. Is it ever a one off? She had nothing to warn him over. They're great pals. She hurt him. And I'm well aware she's capable of maiming or killing him. She could kill me, let's be fair, she's a strong breed. What do I think?? What do I do??

OP’s posts: |
avocadoze Sat 20-Jun-20 11:01:38

Your dog needs to be rehomed. Your first duty is to keep your child safe. I think you must already know this, even though it’s hard to accept. brew

Elizabethlovejoy Sat 20-Jun-20 11:02:56

I am really sorry. I have a GSD I love very much too. However this is simply unacceptable .It will be impossible to monitor her all day and next time it could be so much worse. I think you should rehome.

LifeIsHardButSoAmI Sat 20-Jun-20 11:04:25

Rehome. Why would you have a dog in your home that could (and clearly would, if given half a chance) maim or kill your child and make him scared?

Karwomannghia Sat 20-Jun-20 11:05:37

Thank goodness you were there that could have been lethal. The dog has to go.

Hoppinggreen Sat 20-Jun-20 11:05:44

Our Goldie was a bit “bolshy” with my son, which we have managed to cure now with lots of work but it was never aggression. He also had some resource guarding issues, which again we have now sorted
However, my red line was if he bit either of the dc, I am sorry but
I think I would have to rehome after that

nicky7654 Sat 20-Jun-20 11:06:27

Think about a dog trainer to come into your home when safe. You love your dog so it's worth the time and money before you re-home.

lockdownbreakdown Sat 20-Jun-20 11:07:29

So sorry but dog needs to go immediately. She simply cannot be trusted and could kill your child. Very sad, I know . You are shocked but you will come to the same conclusion by tomorrow.

Windyatthebeach Sat 20-Jun-20 11:08:33

But this wasn't a one off if ddog went for him last week also..
We had a powerful breed for 10 years - hand on heart if she had marked my dc like that I would have had her pts... Please don't rehome(to a rescue) unless they can guarantee no dc ever or a dc may be bitten.
I helped put a relatives ddog into rescue. He also bit a dc's face and ultimately was pts. He was a risk to dc.
Is your dc OK?

sourcreamnchives Sat 20-Jun-20 11:09:30

Rehome rehome rehome

SerenityNowwwww Sat 20-Jun-20 11:10:10

Please consider rejoining the dog. Was it trained properly - and I mean _proper - training? Possibly the dog is unwell if it’s not their usual temperament?

Shortfeet Sat 20-Jun-20 11:10:35

Rehome your dog

DomDoesWotHeWants Sat 20-Jun-20 11:10:40

You need to protect your family. Have it Put to sleep. How would you feel if you rehomed it and it attacked someone else?

LovingLola Sat 20-Jun-20 11:11:31

I think re homing is a solution.
How is your ds?

DomDoesWotHeWants Sat 20-Jun-20 11:11:49

And do it today

IceBearRocks Sat 20-Jun-20 11:12:41

You need to rehome your dog !

Saucery Sat 20-Jun-20 11:12:58

I’m not one for knee jerk OMG REHOME YOUR DOG NOW! but in the absence of a trigger for that behaviour (unless she has taken it upon herself to see everything dropped on the floor as belonging to her) I would contact a reputable GSD Rescue and rehome her. She will make a great dog for the right household, but there’s obviously something going on there that makes it unsafe for her to be around your DS. I’m not sure I would take the risk of trying to unpick it even with a good behaviourist due to her breed and your ds’s age.

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Sat 20-Jun-20 11:14:48

Thank God you were there, the scene you described was chilling.
You have to give up your dog, but you know that, however sad that is.

ElizabethMountbatten Sat 20-Jun-20 11:15:46

We love her sad
Ds is ok, shocked and sad that his best friend did that I think.

She is creeping round me now and keeps trying to lick DS and whining. I've put her outside

I called the vet. I have to take her in for a consultation tomorrow. We have a crate. I can keep her comfortable and entertained in there for today. I'll obviously bring her out for walks and food. She's utterly adored. I'm so shocked

Ylvamoon Sat 20-Jun-20 11:16:06

Sadly, I agree, please re- home your dog, especially if you don't trust her, she will sense it and get worse.
Dogs have personalities, just like us, and some just don't like the noise & behaviour associated with small DC. She is nearly 2 so this is her adult personality. Be kind. Best is to go with a GSD rescue, they know the breed and can find the right home.

ElizabethMountbatten Sat 20-Jun-20 11:18:26

Saucery

I’m not one for knee jerk OMG REHOME YOUR DOG NOW! but in the absence of a trigger for that behaviour (unless she has taken it upon herself to see everything dropped on the floor as belonging to her) I would contact a reputable GSD Rescue and rehome her. She will make a great dog for the right household, but there’s obviously something going on there that makes it unsafe for her to be around your DS. I’m not sure I would take the risk of trying to unpick it even with a good behaviourist due to her breed and your ds’s age.

They normally play together on the floor, and she's so so gentle normally. We had some ducklings for a few weeks recently and she was so patient and sweet with them, letting them waddle all around her and not disturbing them. We have cats she doesn't chase. She plays brilliantly with other dogs. She loves people and she's super friendly . I don't understand it

SteelyPanther Sat 20-Jun-20 11:19:32

You should never tell a dog to not growl. A dog’s growl is it’s warning that it’s not happy. If it’s taught not to growl (warn) it will go straight to bite.

I was bitten on the face as a child, please re-home your dog to a home without children and make them aware of what has happened.

Esssa Sat 20-Jun-20 11:20:15

If you don't want to rehome keep them separate from now on until you have fixed the problem. Quickest thing you can do is muzzle her, not a baskerville, they are not bite proof. Get a trainer involved to assess if this is a fixable behaviour or something that they feel shouldn't ever (even after training) be around children. At the moment though do not leave them anywhere together for any length of time at all.

MrsVeryTired Sat 20-Jun-20 11:21:35

I agree with rehome, do you have a good local rescue organisation? I have a slightly untrustworthy rescue border collie who I am working on his issues but my DS is an older teenager (bigger than I am). If I had a young child I would rehome. Too risky. Your child (and even you) might now be scared of the dog which really isn't a workable situation.

Saucery Sat 20-Jun-20 11:22:58

I do understand and I know you must be devastated. Perhaps it was an open-mouth lunge that glanced off his ear when blocked by you, but even if it was in play.......
It comes down to can you keep them apart, always, from now on though. If that isn’t possible, or it will make her miserable then rehoming to a non-child household is better.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in