Does anyone have any experience on fostering dogs?

(11 Posts)
Bohomie Wed 17-Jun-20 15:42:01

As title says, we'd love a dog. But finances are really tight, we can't afford one.
Reading on some rescue sites and this seems to be a viable option for us.
Anything we should know from anyone who has done this?

OP’s posts: |
AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 17-Jun-20 18:04:28

@CMOTdibbler fosters and should be able to advise smile

tabulahrasa Wed 17-Jun-20 18:06:56

I do, but for a charity that takes them in for their owner and then they go back there.

It’s really hard when they leave...

I also know they’ve been inundated with volunteers because so many people are off work

Amberfest Wed 17-Jun-20 18:09:03

That is how I became the owner of four dogs - just saying...

tabulahrasa Wed 17-Jun-20 18:15:01

Amberfest

That is how I became the owner of four dogs - just saying...

And that’s why I do it for a place that takes them back to their owners, rofl

bloodyc Wed 17-Jun-20 18:25:51

I did it for a while before I had children. Had about 23 dogs in total and kept one. Some were wonderful and some were a challenge. You need to find a rescue you trust so you only get the dogs that suit you. Also ask how much input you have to choosing the new owner. I worked with a rescue where I phoned round all the applicants and met them and had a say. I moved to helping another rescue where someone paid for the dog before meeting it and just came and took it. I couldnt cope with that. I felt fine as long as I could use my knowledge of the dog to help find the right owner. It is a lot of pressure though but you can get someone else to do the home check so you get someone else's opinion on the home.

It was much easier to give up the dogs than I expected. I met some wonderful people who took the dogs and I was so happy I had done my bit and there were always so many more dogs looking for foster that the space left by one was quickly filled by another.

It's very rewarding but it is an emotionally heavy role at times. But that's outweighed by the calls you get from the owners saying how much they love their new dog.

Try many tears as they are a good rescue for fosterers and you will find other foster carers to support you. Good luck.

tabulahrasa Wed 17-Jun-20 18:30:59

Oh that’s another thing, unlike fostering for a rescue - they don’t foster out dogs with major behavioural issues or puppies and you only get ones that have lived with children if you have children.

That doesn’t mean they aren’t problem free, and sometimes owners lie about their history (because they’re scared they won’t get taken)

But it’s a lot less unpredictable - that’s not why I do it, it’s because I like the aim of it and also, I don’t end up with a house full of dogs, lol

Advertisement

fivedogstofeed Wed 17-Jun-20 19:53:16

You need to find a rescue you like, so that you will be confident the rehoming process. You do become emotionally involved with each dog but giving them up is easier when you know the home they are going to is a great one.
You need to be upfront with the rescue about what you are prepared to take on - puppies/ older dogs/ health problems/ exercise requirements - and find out what backup you will get.
Some rescues will supply food, bedding, leads etc but some do expect you to absorb some of the costs. To be really honest fostering has cost me a fair bit in chewed furniture, vomited-on rugs, ripped clothes and missing shoes.... all normal dog stuff!

fivedogstofeed Wed 17-Jun-20 19:59:05

... oops posted too soon!
I've seen over 50 dogs go from here to have amazing lives and am still in touch with many of their families, and it's been an absolute joy.

CMOTDibbler Wed 17-Jun-20 20:50:52

I foster for a small local charity - I get to choose when I'm available, and only do puppies due to the cats and when ds was smaller. Other fosterers have other restrictions/ preferences.
It can be really tough at times as you don't know what issues they are going to bring with them. One of them, it took a week to get her to come out of the crate, and in the month she was with us, she still didn't manage a walk.
We have some dogs who are permanent foster dogs due to age, behaviour, or medical issues as well

PollyPolson Wed 17-Jun-20 21:29:40

I foster and give most of them back but not all of them!

I tend to have "aggressive/reactive" dogs to assess. They spend time wih me as long as it takes for them to be ready to rehome.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in