Harnesses and tags

(27 Posts)
midnightstar66 Sun 14-Jun-20 08:39:11

Just that really. What do people do about dog tags if their ddog wears a harness. Do you put a collar on them anyway or attach something to the harness instead?

OP’s posts: |
BrokenBrit Sun 14-Jun-20 08:43:02

Collar for tag, harness to attach lead.

Soubriquet Sun 14-Jun-20 08:46:00

My dogs harness has a loop at the front to attach a double ended lead.

Well we don’t need to use it, so we put her tag on there instead

LindaLovesCake Sun 14-Jun-20 08:48:22

Our dog wears a collar as well as she’s a bolter. She has been known to do a runner from the front door given the opposition. Despite living in the lap of luxury here.

Cabinfever10 Sun 14-Jun-20 08:53:45

Our harness has a place to write the information on it (though you have to take the harness off to see it ) and a handy little loop on the handle that we have put a tag on too

ImAncient Sun 14-Jun-20 09:05:17

I’ve attached tag to the harness. She doesn’t wear a collar. She can’t get out.

midnightstar66 Sun 14-Jun-20 09:05:47

Our harness doesn't have a front loop unfortunately. If she grows out of it I'll get one that does. Will have to get a collar in the mean time I guess. Although it's very thin as she's tiny I suppose I could just starch it to the actual harness it's self

Advertisement

midnightstar66 Sun 14-Jun-20 09:06:12

*attach not starch

Soubriquet Sun 14-Jun-20 09:10:10

Yeah you could attach it to the loop where her lead attaches to?

midnightstar66 Sun 14-Jun-20 09:11:15

@ImAncient cross post with yours - I think I'll do the same. Ours can't get out either, we're in a flat and the harness goes on before door gets opened. Stays on til we are home whatever we are doing.

dudsville Sun 14-Jun-20 09:13:27

Our harnesses have a specific place to attach the tag. It's right next to a velcrow pocket to put it in so it doesn't jiggle about but I'm afraid of course that a stranger obviously wouldn't know this so I leave them to jiggle.

dudsville Sun 14-Jun-20 09:14:17

We use ruffwear harnesses btw.

Soubriquet Sun 14-Jun-20 09:15:16

I’ll see if I can take a photo of my dogs tag on her harness today

CaptainMyCaptain Sun 14-Jun-20 09:15:45

Our JRT has a thin collar for her tag as well as a harness.

A tag really is essential. Recently, we found a lost dog (actually she found us, came to us for help). She didn't have a tag so someone had to take her to a vet with all that entails just now and they found her chip and contacted the owner. If she'd had a tag we could have returned her quickly as she probably lived very near by. If she hadn't had a chip either we would have acquired a new dog, she was lovely.

Soubriquet Sun 14-Jun-20 09:16:13

Oh and mine is a perfect fit harness

BiteyShark Sun 14-Jun-20 09:20:54

I have a tag on both the collar and harness as sometimes he just has the harness on.

midnightstar66 Sun 14-Jun-20 09:21:51

Thanks was just curious what other people did - Didn't really want a collar but the law does specify collar. Didn't see the difference in putting it on a harness though. If anything surely slipping collars is more common for those who don't use separate harness anyway?!

midnightstar66 Sun 14-Jun-20 09:23:56

I've got her an ezydog harness at the moment which we quite like but she's very tiny (14 week jrt) and likely to outgrow it so will look in to the others for when that happens.

AriettyHomily Sun 14-Jun-20 09:36:58

Mine has a collar with a tag, he's blind and diabetic so if he ever escaped or got lost we need people to know that. He has an ezy dog harness for the lead.

Studycast Sun 14-Jun-20 09:41:39

Another recommendation for perfect fit harness here! They were so helpful sending me two sizes for free and only charging for one once I'd made my choice! (No relation!)

My dogs used to slip out of their harnesses when young (we have better fitting ones now) so we always have a tag on the collar.

You can get id especially for harness straps now as well though.

ImAncient Sun 14-Jun-20 10:20:03

My girl got caught on a branch in the woods one time wearing a collar & couldn't get herself out of it. I was close by but I had to remove the collar without getting bitten (she’s a rescue) & I thought she’s never wearing a collar again. She’d never worn one till we got her or ever been walked - that’s a whole other story!! She still hates the lead a year later but we’ve made great progress with a fab behaviourist. For some reason she tolerates the harness more than she ever did the collar!!

Floralnomad Sun 14-Jun-20 11:41:09

Ours has his tag on his harness as he can’t wear a collar . He cannot get out of the house as we run an airlock door / gate system if the door or gate is open .

Juiceey Sun 14-Jun-20 13:50:20

BrokenBrit

Collar for tag, harness to attach lead.

This smile

He's just a puppy so it's the smallest harness that Pets at Home sold!

StillMedusa Sun 14-Jun-20 21:54:56

Perfect Fit harness here with the D ring at the front.. she has a loely little hollow brass disk there. Bonus is it also jangles slightly as she runs so I can hear her when she's dashing through the woods after squirrels!

Mine doesn't wear a collar as our garden is secure and she's very unlikely to find the front door open. I do have a collar for her but as she's double coated it tangles her neck ruff so she's barely ever worn it.

pigsDOfly Sun 14-Jun-20 23:48:24

My dog has a collar with a tag but very rarely wears it. She has a full mane, and both the collar and tag disappear into the fur so you can't actually see it anyway.

She has a fairly large tag on her harness attached to the ring that is used to attach the lead on her back.

It work very well and is very easy to see.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in