Talk

Advanced search

Labrador x GSD

(5 Posts)
MaidofKent78 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:28:33

Does anyone have experience of this cross?

We've the opportunity to rehome one and would like some idea of what to expect.

We've been looking for a new canine member of the family for a while. We're an active family and are out and about as much as possible so finding the time to walk and exercise it won't be a problem.

We (husband and I) both have experience of these two breeds but not as a cross! We have an almost 5 year old and it goes without saying that they will be closely supervised at all times, DS will be taught how to behave around the dog - he'll have as much training as the dog.

Thoughts? Are we mad for considering this type of dog for us?

OP’s posts: |
LochJessMonster Tue 09-Jun-20 13:23:27

If you can handle a GSD or a lab, then you can probably handle a cross.
It’ll likely be high energy and clever but trainable and willing to learn.
I imagine it will be high shedding though.

frostedviolets Tue 09-Jun-20 14:34:08

If you have experience of labradors and you have experience of GSDs then why would a Labrador x gsd be a mad choice of dog..? hmm

MaidofKent78 Tue 09-Jun-20 15:24:08

frostedviolets

If you have experience of labradors and you have experience of GSDs then why would a Labrador x gsd be a mad choice of dog..? hmm

I'm not sure! I think I wrote this whist mulling whether having a dog is the right thing to do, and it's a projection of whether we're mad to get a dog, full stop. Whilst we have experience and the right set of circumstances, it's still a decision that can repercussions for all parties, and I'd hate to get it wrong.

What can I say; I'm a natural pessimist and worrier?!

OP’s posts: |
fivedogstofeed Tue 09-Jun-20 16:32:31

IME can be a lovely mix. The GSD traits can be quite strong, even in a dog that looks like a big lab.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in