Dog keeps going to toilet inside

(13 Posts)
ddogpleasestoppeeing Tue 09-Jun-20 05:09:46

We have an 8 year old Maltese x shihtzu. He's always been toilet trained. We have another dog 2 years younger with no toilet issues. Set up is we have a dog door, a verandah, lawn and bark chip area.

For the last 18 months (going to call him Woof because my phone keeps autocorrecting) Woof has been toileting inside any chance he gets. We've taken him to 3 different vets for opinions as we were worried about something being medically wrong with him. However they've all said Woof is fine and the advice has been to retrain him like a puppy and check if there's anything outside that scares him.

We've lived in the same house for 8 years so no big changes. Nothing outside that I can see that frightens him. I've taken him out like they said to the toilet, praised him etc. Mostly it happens when the weather cools down. He doesn't like it cold outside and he doesn't like damp ground.

We've set up an area right next to the door so he doesn't have to go out into the cold far. But this morning he's still gone and peed on the carpet. I've had the carpet professionally cleaned more times than I can count now.

Dogs get walked twice during the day. Woof gets carried the way back because he's smaller than Big Woof and can't go as far.

Any suggestions?!

OP’s posts: |
Thepigeonsarecoming Tue 09-Jun-20 05:17:07

How far are you walking that little woof needs carrying back??

ddogpleasestoppeeing Tue 09-Jun-20 06:08:16

@Thepigeonsarecoming about an hour walk. He's happy walking about 30 mins but after that will stop and look at us to pick him up. We have a bag that he sits in.

Booboostwo Tue 09-Jun-20 07:04:37

Since it’s not a medical problem it’s behavioral. It is possible he doesn’t like the cold and the carpet is convenient.

This may sound extreme but it’s your best bet at sorting this out:
- get rid of the carpet. After 18 months of peeing on it the smell will be through to the underlay and you won’t be able to clean it no matter what you do (I assume you’ve been using enzyme products?)

- take him out like a puppy every hour, even every half hour if you can.

- try the umbilical cord method: when he is indoors keep him on a leash which is then tied around your waist. That means he is never away from you and you can oversee him 100% of the time. If he is sleeping he should be in his crate (assuming he is crate trained). At all other times he should be tethered to you. This will stop all accidents.

This is a very demanding regime for you but it has a high chance of working.

Floralnomad Tue 09-Jun-20 09:55:07

Stop them using the dog door and retrain him to ask to go out that way you can put a coat on him so he’s less averse to going out in the cold . My dog ( terrier) won’t go in the garden in the rain and we keep a coat by the door for him . I also agree about getting rid of the carpet , it has probably retained some smell .

Lynda07 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:00:47

I've never known a dog go to the toilet, I'm quite impressed. If you stop him from using it now he'll be confused.

ThatBitch Tue 09-Jun-20 10:03:43

I would go all the way back to basics. Take him outside every 30 mins to start with, on a lead. Stand quietly with him, let him sniff. If he pees/poos then treat and praise enthusiastically. If he hasn't gone after about 10 mins then back inside and try again in 30mins. Try and remove his opportunity to make mistakes, supervise him and use a house line to keep him by you if necessary. It sounds like he has trained you to clean up after him and carry him when he demands. I wouldn't carry him on walks, if he needs a drink and pause then stop half way round, keep him on lead and let the other dog run if the other dog has more energy. When walking more he will sniff and toilet more.

Advertisement

vanillandhoney Tue 09-Jun-20 10:21:58

What was he doing when he peed inside? Had he asked to go out at all or shown any signs of wanting to go?

Lynda07 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:57:05

Maybe the op doesn't have an outside loo.

ddogpleasestoppeeing Tue 09-Jun-20 13:01:58

@vanillandhoney I didn't see him do it. I came into the lounge room and noticed the floor right by the dog door looked wet.

@Floralnomad do you leave your dog outside if you go out to the shops etc? They have coats but have always stayed in if we go out, prior to the peeing inside anyway.

I probably do need to get rid of the carpet yes. I just don't think it can be done as soon as I'd like. There is only one room with carpet and our house can get very cold so I'd hoped to keep a carpeted room. Obviously can't though if carpet = pee to him.

Thank you for the info on the umbilical cord method.

vanillandhoney Tue 09-Jun-20 13:04:27

Ah right okay. It may just be he's getting older and doesn't want to go out when it's cold and wet anymore! Before you get rid of the carpet, I would clean it properly with biological washing powder and then use simple solution to see if you can get rid of the smell first smile

I hope you manage to solve it whatever you do.

Jingstohang Tue 09-Jun-20 13:08:59

Not a solution but my dog goes inside (I was advised this was best for her, I'm not sure now!). Putting pee pads over the areas she pees means she goes on them not the carpet.

Floralnomad Tue 09-Jun-20 13:09:46

@ddogpleasestoppeeing , no I leave him inside if I go to the shops or anywhere else , I make sure he’s had a pee or had the offer to go before I leave and then he waits until I come home . I would never have a dog door as too many dogs get stolen from gardens even very secure locked ones like mine .

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in