Puppy food mix

(5 Posts)
holbobs78 Mon 08-Jun-20 18:27:18

Hello .

Just looking for advice as I first time dog owner .

We have a 13 week old pug. He has been eating royal cain puppy food 3 meals a day with treats ( small amounts for training )
He's always around our feet when we eat so the kids are also feeding him snacks behind my back .

My question is , is it better to mix up his meals ? For example we gave him a mix of kibble and fresh cooked salmon this afternoon . Thanks

OP’s posts: |
mimbleandlittlemy Mon 08-Jun-20 20:26:28

Royal Canin is really poor quality food. Go on to the all about dog food website and look to see what else there is - then slowly move him on to something better. Mine likes wet food in the morning and kibble in the evening ever since he was a puppy with raw veg, an egg , a bit of cheese, bit of fruit as a change. Good luck.

holbobs78 Mon 08-Jun-20 21:51:36

Thanks for the advice . Any recommendations for better quality food ? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Louise24902 Mon 08-Jun-20 22:55:41

Only thing I would say OP is be careful mixing the kibble with food like salmon etc as a lot of time people find that their pups get put off the biscuits and will then only eat them if they have chicken/fish whatever else it is you put in it with them.

All dogs are different in what they like but we give ours biscuits (at that age the recommended amount was split in to three meals), we now give him 2 meals a day, once in the morning with half the recommended amount of biscuits then he gets the other half at dinner time with a tray of wet dog food as well.
This has worked for us but again, different dogs are different.

and I've not got any personal experience with Pug puppies so hopefully someone can come along and recommend things that are good for them😁

Girlintheframe Tue 09-Jun-20 05:50:18

We feed ours Millie Wolfheart. You can feed this from puppy. This website https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ shows all different types of food and will help.
Like pp I was very cautious giving ours extras mainly because I wanted him not to turn his nose up at the kibble. Now he is older he often extras but as a pup I didn't want to be in a position where he wouldn't eat his kibble as he was waiting for something tastier. As a pup I was keen to know he was getting all the correct requirements for growth etc.
My parents cook a lot for their dogs but are retired and have the time to do so. Once he is older or you know the correct nutritional requirements he needs then I don't see a problem.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in