Puppy feeding times

(7 Posts)
Perfidy Sun 24-May-20 16:50:58

Puppy is 5 months, a cockerpoo, she’s starting to go to 2 meals a day. Breakfast about 8am. When would thou feed tea time? We’ve been doing it about 6 pm but then she needs a poo about 4am. I’m addled from lack of sleep.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Sun 24-May-20 17:02:44

My cocker used to like his 4am poos and we tried many things over ye years but he would still get up at that time intermittently. The only thing that stopped it was age as he seems to have just suddenly stopped getting up for early pees or poos.

You might have better luck with changing feeding times or maybe a later walk at night as movement can help them toilet.

MissShapesMissStakes Sun 24-May-20 21:18:42

I wouldn't make the last meal too early because dogs can be sick in the morning due to an empty stomach.

My 2 year old mini poodle still has three meals as it suits him best. He has 8am, 3pm and 10pm ish. He's always slept all night and never needed to go to toilet in the night though.

LaughingDonkey Sun 24-May-20 21:28:58

@Perfidy

What was the feeding and potty schedule before when on 3 meals a day?

LaughingDonkey Sun 24-May-20 21:31:22

@Perfidy

And what are you feeding her and how much?

Perfidy Sun 24-May-20 21:44:49

She was on same times but with a lunch. She starting ignoring lunch so figured she was ready to move to 2 a day. Also she’s not starving in the morning.

She’s on wainwright’s puppy meat.

OP’s posts: |
LaughingDonkey Sun 24-May-20 21:58:17

Two options:

1. Try to feed her at 7 p.m. and before serving food add a bit of warm water to soak it up; feed bigger breakfast and smaller dinner;
2. Feed at the same time (6 p.m.) and after 1.5 - 2 hours play exciting games/walk/chase 10-15 minutes to stimulate bowel movement before bed.

It gets better, you will find the way.

smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in