Advanced search

Liver tumour

(6 Posts)
Darklane Tue 26-May-20 15:56:21

I had this with my little Yorkie three years ago. He was much younger being nine. He’d initially been diagnosed with spleen tumour & went in for an operation to remove it but I got a phone all from the vet while she had him on the operating table saying that she’d found “ cancer all through him, the biggest on his liver” so could not remove the spleen as planned. She asked did I want her to let him go there & then or “just stitch him up “ to spend what little time he had left with me. To say I was in shock was an understatement I brought him home. He went back for a check up a week later & she put him on Rimadyl of all things. Said there was new evidence that although it wasn’t intended for that vets in the States were finding it improved quality of life in cancer patients & sometimes an extension. He picked up amazingly, went back monthly for the next six months, I’d been told to expect just days with him. At six months the vet was amazed, said you wouldn’t know he was ill”. At his twelve month check up he’d gone into remission. This lasted for another year till last summer when very suddenly he began to be ill again & over a weekend I knew that something had gone drastically wrong for him, the cancer had returned & the vet agreed it was time to let him go. It he’d had a good long time, completely unexpected, of enjoying life .. I still miss him like crazy, it will be a year next week when I finally had to say goodbye. You will know, but if she’s happy that’s what matters now.

Guineapiggiesmalls Mon 25-May-20 23:22:53

Sarah, I’m so sorry to hear about your lovely dog and for sharing your experience. People keep telling me that I’ll just know and I’m trying to keep that in mind, and not selfishly keep her hanging on. She’s still pottering about and eating as normal, but I know the end isn’t far. I’m glad to hear that it wasn’t too traumatic for you, it’s a weird, very sad feeling of resignation when you know there’s nothing that can be done anymore flowers

OP’s posts: |
SarahinCornwall Mon 25-May-20 21:33:45

I recently had to have my 15 year old chihuahua pts. I was told them same, ‘you will know’, and i just couldn’t imagine when I would know to make the decision. I also didn’t want it to happen 😢

With my dog he was sleeping lots, lost sight/hearing, lost his appetite. The vet gave him antibiotics and upped his metacam; he was like his old self, wanting to play, sit with me in the evening, eating well but as soon as the antibiotics finished he started going down hill.

His last night, he was up all night, he couldn’t settle and I could tell was in pain; I knew that was it and regretted not making the decision sooner. The process itself was calm, a relief and he was at peace.

Thinking of you

Guineapiggiesmalls Sat 23-May-20 19:40:29

Thank you Bitey. There are other medications but they have equally unpleasant side effects, so we’re just sticking to a rice and chicken diet and hoping it passes. It’s so tough being grown-up, I just wish I knew the right thing to do!

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Sat 23-May-20 17:54:05

I'm so sorry thanks.

Can you ask your vet if there is anything else to help with the diarrhoea? But equally if not it does sound like its time as you don't want to wait until there is no joy left for them.

thanksfor you both.

Guineapiggiesmalls Sat 23-May-20 15:26:44

A few weeks ago we found that my beloved dog (nearly age 15) has a large tumour on her liver. We found out because she was drinking a lot, but other than that seemed pretty much her normal lovely self. The vet suggested that it wouldn’t t be fair to operate or have chemotherapy because of her age, and I agree, and would rather make sure she’s spoiled and knows how loved she is for however long she has left. They gave us antibiotics and said to let us know if anything changes.

Since starting the antibiotics, she’s had bloody diarrhoea (which she didn’t have before). The vet stopped the antibiotics, but the diarrhoea has continued. I’m worried that this is the end for her, and know I have to make the right decision for her (not just for us). She’s still eating as normal, although is sleeping a little more.

I’m not really sure what I’m asking here, just desperate to do the right thing by her and don’t know if I’m being selfish by not having her put to sleep. How will I know when it’s her time?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in