Gentle Leader - any experience

(4 Posts)
Dora26 Sun 17-May-20 22:04:58

This may be known as a halti also but my sis in US has sent me one to try on my springer who pulls a lot wven though harness did improve a bit. Anyone with experience or wise words? Sensitive active affectionate 3.5 year old female springer spaniel. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
tabulahrasa Sun 17-May-20 22:14:53

They’re not quite the same thing btw, haltis tighten when they pull, so they stop pulling by making it uncomfortable.

Gentle leaders aren’t supposed to, they’re supposed to work like a horses head collar and just giving you more control - but, I found that when they changed designs a few years ago, one of the clips did in fact slide and tightened round the dog’s face.

I’ve found it depends what sort of puller they are...

Either way, you’ll want to spend a couple of weeks getting her happy to wear it, you can’t just put it on and go or she might end up hating it.

Windyatthebeach Mon 18-May-20 18:53:59

Our ddog had a Halti for years. Sat and accepted it on no problem.. She knew it meant OUT!!
New dpuppy has one. Same again no problem.

Classiccar Wed 20-May-20 15:52:12

With both dogs (previous and new) they have rubbed their chins on the ground trying to remove them. It’s been horrible to watch, the only way to ensure they don’t drag their faces on all ground surfaces is by keeping a short lead so as to ensure they can’t stretch that far.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in