Can someone help with a season question please?

(9 Posts)
Wonderingwhyme Sat 09-May-20 19:22:46

Longer than 3 months @Ylvamoon? That’s what the vets said when I rang them when I got her. That they wanted to wait until she has a season and wait 3 months after that to do it...

OP’s posts: |
Ylvamoon Sat 09-May-20 18:01:19

Talk to your vet, you might have to wait a bit longer... so ther is less blood flow to the uterus.

moobar Sat 09-May-20 16:22:55

Ach I'm sure that will be fine next week.

Danger is more off lead, lots of dogs about, then it's to late.

Wonderingwhyme Sat 09-May-20 16:15:59

God yes April, the months are merging into one!

No she doesn’t go off lead. I’m working remotely with a trainer as I haven’t had her long but she is awful on walks. Scared of her own shadow, growls and barks at everyone and every single dog. She’s desperate to go out and gets so excited but once we are at the end of the road she is constantly looking back and trying to go bome.

She was doing ok and walking a good half hour but then just before I noticed the bleeding she was refusing and sitting down etc and was a nightmare so I think this has had her worse. Can’t wait to get her spayed. Vets want to wait for 3 months after her season ideally...

moobar Sat 09-May-20 16:13:14

Do you mean 24 April? If so then 15 May onwards should be OK as three weeks plus. But I would probably take it over to the following week.

Is the worry letting her off lead? Be fine on lead if you give people a wide space.

Wonderingwhyme Sat 09-May-20 15:21:33

So would this coming Friday make it ‘safe’ for her?

Wonderingwhyme Sat 09-May-20 15:15:39

Thanks for replying: the trouble is I don’t know when it began. It’s very light. I noticed a change of her behaviour (more clingy) and noticed the blood in the bedding 24th March but don’t know how long it had been there (I wash it every few weeks and it is in her crate which is under a blanket so hadn’t been ‘looking’ IYSWIM?) or is that irrelevant? It is 9 days that I’ve noticed but she has had the odd day with no bleeding...

Advertisement

moobar Sat 09-May-20 15:13:13

Average season lasts three weeks but we always count four to be safe.

They tend on average to be most fertile around day nine or ten after bleeding starts for around seven days. So that takes you to three week point then a week further just to be sure it's done.

I have an ex breeding bitch who would come in, bleed for three days, stop for a week, then come in again. So she had ten days extra at the start. Every time!

Wonderingwhyme Sat 09-May-20 15:05:41

I have a 10 year old and she is not spayed (ex breeding bitch) she will be spayed once vets are open. Breeder does not know last season as never took note as she hasn’t breed her for a few years as she retired her.

So it looks like she has been in season. Minimal blood/discharge of which she hasn’t had any in her bedding since last Sunday night. When is she likely to not be fertile? No dogs have paid her any attention on walks although we haven’t gone far from home and all dogs have been on leads but have not been close to her anyway..

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in