Eating mud

(3 Posts)
pigsDOfly Sun 03-May-20 20:32:20

Looking for a bit of advice please.

About three weeks ago my dog started digging in the garden.

Initially, I think she was digging up the young grass shoots and eating them so I wasn't too worried, although she's never done this before and hasn't dug in the garden since she was a puppy, she's now 9 years old.

Over the last week or so it's become like an obsession. She spends hours out there even when it's pouring with rain.

Earlier she was lying on the mud with her mouth and nose deep in a hole and as far as I could see was eating some of the mud, it's hard to be sure though, exactly what she's digging for and I know she's eating creepy crawlies.

I looked up mud eating online and it said it could be a deficiency of minerals in the diet, could possibly indicate anaemia and suggested a change of diet and a visit to the vet.

She's on a good quality low fat food that was started on the advice of the vet as she had pancreatitis; she hasn't had a flair up of now for about a year.

In normal times I'd get the vet to check her over; she was due a routine visit but, of course, that didn't happen, and now I don't know what to do.

Just wondering what other people would do. Obviously, it's not an emergency, but at the same time I don't want to leave it to just continue in case she does have something like anaemia.

Would you ring the vet if you were me?

OP’s posts: |
ArcherDog Tue 05-May-20 11:30:16

I’d break the habit immediately.
Do not let her dig or eat mud, at all
Supervised at all times in the garden.
Distract with something else (toy or treat)

pigsDOfly Tue 05-May-20 11:45:45

Thank you for your reply.

I ended up ringing the vet in the end because I began to suspected, the mud eating was caused by feelings of nausea and stomach pain, which was evident from the way she started to behave the day after I wrote this post.

Until the last couple of days it was hard to tell if she was developing a new, unwelcome habit or if she was feeling unwell.

Following a visit to the vet where she was given appropriate medication she's stopped doing it, thankfully.

Sometimes, when a dog is eating and behaving normally in every other way, it can be hard to work out what's going on with them.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in