Help! Dog flap in new house.

(7 Posts)
makingmyway10 Fri 01-May-20 16:54:39

Hoping someone can help. We have just moved house and there is a dog flap in the back door. It has a cover that slides over the top but I can not workout how to secure it? From the outside you can just pust it up and reach in!

It has a spring loaded pin in the middle of the flap but this does not actually do anything. It does not stop the flap being pushed up. Animals can not get in but I am worried a burglar would be able to push it up and get in. There must be a way of securing it. We will be having it removed but until that is possible we would like to secure it.

Anybody got any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Fri 01-May-20 17:32:26

Without a picture, no.

Can you maybe screw a length of wood onto the door to prevent the flap being pushed up?

makingmyway10 Fri 01-May-20 17:48:53

Sorry not able to provide a picture. The brand is Pet Safe. Thank you for the wood suggestion will think about it but was hoping someone would know how to secure it . I think I am missing something as when I googled it , the cover looked the same on line just a spring loaded pin in the top centre but nothing obvious to lock it .

Thanks for replying though smile

jinxpixie Fri 01-May-20 19:20:12

Some pet safe dog flaps have a sliding panel that you put in to lock it.

makingmyway10 Fri 01-May-20 20:54:00

Thanks jinxpixie. It has the sliding cover but no way of securing it in place to stop anyone pushing it up from outside .

Goldenhedgehogs Mon 04-May-20 08:21:45

Do you think it has been fitted the wrong way, so the sliding cover should be on the inside to prevent a burglar being able to lift it? Would it be easy to unscrew and try fitting with the sliding door in the inside? I dont know the dog flap but in our family we are crap at DIY and would do this and then would be so sick of it would leave it like that for years using the hope the dog would put burglars off.

makingmyway10 Tue 05-May-20 15:45:39

Sorry only just seen your reply Goldenhedgehogs. The sliding panel is on the inside but anyone outside could put their hand inside and slide it up! The spring pin lock does not lock it. We have now sealed it off with a temporary panel of wood, I think we will need to replace the door or have another one fitted that is more secure and keep it locked,

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in