Giardia advice please

(7 Posts)
fivedogstofeed Fri 01-May-20 13:39:53

Oh that's great. It's awful how quickly they can do down. Hope she continues to improve.

Bathonian2020 Fri 01-May-20 12:56:41

Glad to hear she is better. It is horrible when our animals are ill!

dewisant2020 Fri 01-May-20 09:22:37

@Bathonian2020 Thank you for the help, I have a different dog today she's much happier in herself and seems bright and alert.
It's been a worrying few days, my son died recently and I couldn't bear the thought off going through anything else at the moment.
She still has diarrhea but I am keeping everything crossed we are going in the right direction.
I have ordered the magic paste you suggested from Amazon & I will give her this once she's had her course off Panacur.
Thank you both smile

OP’s posts: |
Bathonian2020 Thu 30-Apr-20 19:47:30

Panacur is a wormer which also happens to work on Giardia (one of my dogs had this too, probably picked up in the local park). I was told to give it every day for five days so yes do ask your vet about repeating it.

I was also given a special diet to feed during this time (Hills digestive care ID) which helps settle the stomach too - pricy but he loved it and it did seem to agree with his stomach. You can get it on Amazon or your vet may keep it in stock.

Once you have finished giving the panacur, (but not before because you want her to excrete the Giardia) if she still has diarrhoea (it can sometimes take several days to clear up) you can also give her Prokolin which is magic for settling dogs guts - it is just a paste of bland kaolin clay and beneficial bacteria but it works amazingly well - also available on Amazon.

dewisant2020 Thu 30-Apr-20 19:22:39

@fivedogstofeed thank you for the advice, i've been so worried about her i've never seem her so poorly as she has been for the last 2 weeks.
She seems perkier tonight so maybe just maybe the panacur is doing the trick.
The vet said he will phone me once the feaces sample comes back so i'll ask him about repeating the panacur then.

fivedogstofeed Thu 30-Apr-20 18:18:35

I fostered a pup who had this and from memory he was slightly improved within about 24 hrs of starting the panacur but he did have antibiotics as well.
It's a horrible thing. You may need to repeat the panacur as well but I presume your vet is waiting for the lab results

dewisant2020 Thu 30-Apr-20 17:29:09

My little Shih Ztu has been really quite poorly with sickness, diarrhea, lameness and generally not her usual happy self.
I took her to vets who thinks she's probably got an infection called Giardia and has prescribed panacur (she had her second dose this morning)
I've also sent a stool sample off which should be back next week.
Today she's still quiet, still having diarrhea and I was wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat and how long it took for the Panacur to work and what sort of results you soon.
I am so very worried about

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in