How do you find reputable breeders?

(6 Posts)
MonsteraCheeseplant Mon 20-Apr-20 16:14:09

Looking to help my mum get a dog for the first time. Not completely sure what kind but like the cavapoo type small dogs. We want to be thorough and be sure we're not fueling puppy farms etc.

OP’s posts: |
LetTheCabbagesDie Mon 20-Apr-20 16:25:28

Watching with interest.

maxelly Mon 20-Apr-20 16:29:31

This very recent thread has some very good posts including (IMO) a great one from GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman towards the bottom.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_doghouse/3884658-Buying-a-puppy-query

The best and only way to be completely 100% certain you are not supporting puppy farms is to rescue. This can be difficult for those who work or have small children but if your Mum is retired and doesn't work full time she'd likely be a good candidate to rescue, and can be matched with a calm older dog who would be good for a first time owner.

If she really wants a puppy (and be aware a puppy is a lot of work, not that different from a human baby for the first 4-6 weeks IMO, lots of night time waking, crying and poo/wee incidents, plus any young dog even a toy breed will need plenty of exercise!) you are best to pick a pedigree and go via the breed club, pick your breeder super carefully - lots of good guidance on questions to ask on the thread I linked. Not because I have anything against the 'poo' crosses per se, they can be nice dogs but reputable breeders of them who do proper health tests etc are few and far between, and there is little regulation so puppy farmers abound, plus well meaning amateurs that breed fairly indiscriminately so risking health and temperamental issues. Cavalier KC spaniels have a lot of health problems but pure poodles are nice dogs, or perhaps a Yorkie terrier, or a Bichon, Maltese, Pom, or Havanese are other nice toy breeds IMO. Good luck!

MonsteraCheeseplant Mon 20-Apr-20 16:32:12

God that is recent, sorry for posting abbot it again! Many thanks for linking it though.

OP’s posts: |
justasking111 Mon 20-Apr-20 16:37:45

I would say facebook, join the owners clubs. We have a sprocker 7kmembers and can say they are honest and only recommend genuine people the baddies get booted off. The cockapoo page has 70k members, so I would join the group and start asking for advice. They are lovely dogs, two friends have them.

FB cockapoo owners club (UK)

Funf Mon 20-Apr-20 18:28:12

Its difficult, they are usually all fine until something goes wrong!
Many are in it for the status and money, personal recommendation is usually good.
The las Pup we bought the breeder made it very clear any issues I will have her back, she is in touch with all the dogs she has bread and even takes them back for holidays etc.
The problem is so many breeds are a cash cow so lots of people breed them. Some of the lesser breeds have smaller litters so only people with a genuine interest in promoting the breed tend to have them.
Just have a look at some of the venerable native breeds, many are rare as no money in breeding them, sad but true
www.thekennelclub.org.uk/getting-a-dog-or-puppy/finding-the-right-dog/vulnerable-native-breeds/
Many of these would be an absolute nightmare for your mum but many are great companion dogs, Dandie Dinmont terrier, Skye Terrier, Glen of Imaal Terrier, Manchester Terrier, the list goes on.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in