Dog for sons birthday

(97 Posts)
Roberts25 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:00:45

So i'm getting my son a rough collie. Hes only turning three, so obviously it'll be me that'll be taking care of the dog with his help of making a mess trying to feed him. Hes been around dogs, cats and lambs a lot recently, hes very gentle, regardless, I will obviously not leave them alone together, probably wouldn't be able to anyway, since i cant even pee alone.

Anyway so i asked my son what he wanted to call him, and have asked a few times hoping hed change his mind. But no marshall is what he wants to call the dog. Hes paw patrol and fireman mad. Will it be silly to have a rough collie named afer a dalmation character?
Would it then be even more silly then to paint the kennel like a paw patrol kennel?
I know thats what he would like, but im just thinking am i just being OTT as I always tend to go with his birthdays and would it just sound and look silly considering its not a dalmation.

OP’s posts: |
WorraLiberty Sun 19-Apr-20 21:03:34

Not as silly as pretending the dog you want to get, is going to double up as a birthday present for you son. Or is that clever? grin

I think Marshall is a lovely name for a dog and a paw patrol kennel sounds cute.

Wolfiefan Sun 19-Apr-20 21:05:35

Please tell me you’re not really getting a puppy for a child, having a kennel and getting a puppy whilst you have a pre schooler. shock

TheVanguardSix Sun 19-Apr-20 21:06:51

I'm just totally curious... why a rough collie?

changeuser Sun 19-Apr-20 21:08:13

Was waiting for Wolfie and as usual on these boards they are not wrong.. (on the limited information I know).

TheVanguardSix Sun 19-Apr-20 21:10:50

Have you had a dog before, OP? Because there are probably other questions you should be asking.

Roberts25 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:11:36

The kennel would be in the garden, so when were out and can't come along it wouldn't be stuck indoors, it wouldn't be locked inside. Free to run around the garden or to nap in the kennel. And yes i do know it sound like a lot and i might just regret it.

Advertisement

P0lka Sun 19-Apr-20 21:12:07

You're a liar, or you're thick as fuck.

Wolfiefan Sun 19-Apr-20 21:13:49

I hope P0lka is right.
You don’t leave a dog for longer than it’s happy to be left. Leaving a dog in the garden may well see it stolen.

Roberts25 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:14:01

I genuinely think they are the most beautiful dogs. Ive done all the research on their coats and temperament ect i just think its the best suited dog for us.

Floralnomad Sun 19-Apr-20 21:14:53

You're a liar, or you're thick as fuck
Absolutely agree

Roberts25 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:15:14

Live on a farm...hence the lambs.

RLOU30 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:15:37

I’m 😱 that you’re getting a dog for your 3 year old. Yes, yes I know you said you will be doing everything but your considering even prettying up the dogs bed (or did you really mean kennel?) for your son so the question has to be asked, do you really want a dog? and do you have the time (been as though you don’t have a minute to yourself )?

fivedogstofeed Sun 19-Apr-20 21:15:43

If you leave your puppy alone in the garden he's at risk of being stolen whether or not the kennel is painted like Paw Patrol hmm

CherryPavlova Sun 19-Apr-20 21:16:59

Bonkers. It’s not about painting a kennel. It’s about getting a near toddler an animal as a present and not really considering the dogs needs. More important than his name is who is going to give it the amount of exercise it needs, who is going to hoover up it’s shredding and who is doing the grooming and training.
They’re beautiful dogs but need an amount of care. Not always easy to manage with a very young child. Will your husband walk it? Do you have access to open country and off lead opportunities? Do you have training experience?
I’d think carefully about what is good for a dog and buy some Duplo.

RLOU30 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:17:25

Cross posted.
Gosh.

Roberts25 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:17:50

Yes had 4 dogs.

Carouselfish Sun 19-Apr-20 21:18:18

If you're really going to kennel them overnight: dogs outdoors need really well insulated, free from draughts and damp kennels, plenty of blankets etc, especially if they are on their own. In the wild they'd be in underground, dry, sheltered dens snuggled up with others for warmth. Touchy about this as have a rescue who was chained (!!) to a plastic kennel open at both ends with soaking wet blankets through a snowy winter. Amazing he survived. Have also seen someone keep a Great Dane in a tiny wooden shed with one thin blanket. Don't you have a utility area or something instead if youre not keen on them living inside? Bear in mind as they get older, sleeping outdoors will be harder on their joints and they'll use up a lot of their fat reserves keeping warm so probably need more food than an indoor dog.

viques Sun 19-Apr-20 21:18:55

it wouldn't be locked inside .........free to run around the garden or nap in the kennel

As dogs do.............especially puppies.

Hope you have a good relationship with your neighbours.

TheVanguardSix Sun 19-Apr-20 21:21:48

When did you last have dogs? Sorry. You live on a farm, had 4 dogs... and yet you sound clueless.

Smellbellina Sun 19-Apr-20 21:23:07

😂 at everyone getting up in arms about a collie going to live on a farm

who is going to give it the amount of exercise it needs, who is going to hoover up it’s shredding and who is doing the grooming and training.

I’m going to take a wild guess in the dark here and say OP, who appears to be an adult.

Roberts25 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:24:47

I live on a farm. He will also be trained by my partner to be a sheepdog. Chill people. Im capable of hoovering, ive reasearched about their coats and teeth and what food they should have. Ive had dogs, horses, chickens, geese, cats, rabbits, guinie pigs, fish.
Yes my son doesnt let me piss by myself, but honestly what parent of an almost 3 year old can? Doesnt stop me from working from home or cleaning or cooking, you adjust. Just like people do when they have a second child, doesnt mean they neglect their first born.
Im just asking if its a cute idea for a little boy. Not for parenting lessons.

Also everyone by kennel i mean like a dog house. A wooden one with access to go in and out as he pleases.

RLOU30 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:25:21

An adult who takes to mumsnet to ask our opinion on painting a fucking paw patrol kennel 😂

Roberts25 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:25:50

Dont have neighbours.

Roberts25 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:27:17

Literally now i asked about the dogs name and a dog house.
People pissed at me for wanting to do something nice for my son.
Ive taken care of animals since i could walk. Chill.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in