Excessive sniffing and floor licking

(3 Posts)
Lydiathetattooedlady Sun 05-Apr-20 08:30:16

Just wondering if anyone can offer me some advise on my lovely dog. Shes 11 ish (rescue so not 100% sure on age), this morning she has been going around excessively sniffing and licking the carpet. She can be distracted by calling her name in that she will look up at me but then continuing to sniff and lick the living room carpet. I've tried putting her on my knee but she gets back down and again continues.

Shes been in to the garden as per her routine and has had her breakfast, no sickness/diahorrea, we've not changed her food. Obviously the home life routine has changed and we're all at home so didnt know if it was done some sort of anxiety behaviour or if this could be something more serious and to call the vet?

OP’s posts: |
Sally7645 Sun 05-Apr-20 08:39:59

My dog used to do this, usually linked to feeling a bit anxious about something I found. He had a really sensitive tummy and often did it along side gurgling stomach noises. But also started doing it a lot when our baby came along. It was like an obsession, he'd do it constantly unless we called him over and distracted him, but would all of a sudden stop I guess after whatever was making him anxious eased up.

Used to drive me mad, I used to get him his Kong with a little bit of peanut butter or coconut oil in and he'd lick that instead... He passed away from old recently and I miss him lots, but i don't miss the licking noise! smile

Lydiathetattooedlady Sun 05-Apr-20 08:56:48

Thank you so much for your reply. Its the first time shes done this which is why it has got me worried. She has been quite restless but I'm presuming that's due to the change of what has been her usual routine. I think shes sick of the sight of me tbh grin

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in