Advice on puppy with umbilical hernia.

(14 Posts)
HaudMaDug Fri 03-Apr-20 11:10:51

Hi fellow dog people.
My breeder has just called to let me know that the pup I paid a deposit for has what he believes to be an umbilical hernia.
Due to the lockdown he has already agreed to keep the pups for the extra weeks until restrictions are lifted but is unable to get the pups to the vet for vaccinations just now. He had noticed this lump around the belly button so had spoken and sent photos to the vet to help diagnose an umbilical hernia. Pup is in perfect heath otherwise.
I've had many dogs in my life but never had experience of this condition before and wondered if any of you had?
Having googled a bit I see this can be corrected at the same time as he is being speyed but I have no idea whether this may affect him in the meantime.
My breeder has already said he is willing to give me my deposit back if I feel unsure about taking the pup and I said I'd let him know after the weekend once I had educated myself on the condition.
Have any of you had experience of this and if so how easily/costly
was it to treat?
Or should I just accept my deposit back and let this little guy stay with the breeder?

OP’s posts: |
sakuramiyagi Fri 03-Apr-20 11:17:37

We had a German Pointer with an umbilical hernia. Our vet suggested that as we had no plans to work her or use her as a show dog, it was unnecessary to do the corrective surgery.

She never had any issues with the hernia during her life. We always kept an eye on it, but it never increased in size or was injured.

If the vet is happy with it, then I really wouldn't worry about it.

Michelleoftheresistance Fri 03-Apr-20 11:19:30

Mine had the same when he came to me, the breeder made me aware. At the first jabs the vet had a look and said we'd wait and see as it didn't seem large or causing an issue. By second jabs it was gone and we've had no problems since.

HaudMaDug Fri 03-Apr-20 13:20:35

Thank you both for setting my mind at ease a bit.
The wee pup is a German Pointer/Black Lab (Pointador).
I have no plans for breeding so I'll speak with the breeders vet tonight and see what he say's about it.
With the issue showing up now I was bothered about not being able to get it cover if I insure him.
Thanks again.

OP’s posts: |
JKScot4 Fri 03-Apr-20 13:23:44

It’s easy removed at neuter, my boy had his removed then, simple op.
Also he’s not a breeder, he’s a greeder; cross breeding and selling at whatever silly price he’s charging.

shellybon Fri 03-Apr-20 13:31:40

Our breeder made us aware that the dog we were interested in also had an umbilical hernia. As previous posters have said, the vet advised us to have it done the same time as we have his bits off so it's only one dose of anaesthetic but we decided to not have his bits done and didn't bother with the hernia either as it never bothers him. He's got a lot of fur so it's hard to see it and tbh we forget he's even got it as it's quite hidden.

HaudMaDug Fri 03-Apr-20 13:53:47

@JKScot4 how much extra did it cost as up till now I've never had to neuter any of my boys?
Just to note no greedy breeder prices involved just good gun dog lines.

OP’s posts: |


Justyou Fri 03-Apr-20 13:56:09

Our breeder advised us before collecting that our pup had one, it resolved itself by the time we took her for vet check so vet said they weren’t going to put it on notes for insurance.

MrsBungle Fri 03-Apr-20 13:56:12

As others have said our boy had one too and it was corrected when he was neutered. It never caused him any problems, he was a weimaraner.

HaudMaDug Fri 03-Apr-20 13:56:59

My last Pointador was pretty bald around the belly button so I would imagine this one to be much the same so no combover available.

OP’s posts: |
HaudMaDug Fri 03-Apr-20 13:59:03

Thank you all for coming back with positive feedback here.
As I said in OP I have no experience of this so was a little wary and didn't want to reject the pup for something that does not make any difference to him.
Thank you

OP’s posts: |
JKScot4 Fri 03-Apr-20 14:03:13

It was about £80 on top of neuter, I am in Scotland, so not as expensive as SE.

HaudMaDug Fri 03-Apr-20 14:07:31

I'm Scottish Borders (hence gun dog countrysmile)so hopefully the charge should be similar. Thank you

OP’s posts: |
GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Fri 03-Apr-20 17:51:34

I've had two dogs with them, both small, what I think were delayed closures. Neither hernia was found to have any intestines in it when corrected.

Personally I wouldn't call a breeder who is a) happy to keep the pups during lockdown and b) has informed the buyer about a possible hernia and offered to return the deposit a 'greeder', but then I am not anti cross-breeding provided it is done in a considered way eg to produce working dogs.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in