Picking a puppy - sticky situation !! Help

(8 Posts)
TTlover Tue 10-Mar-20 22:01:20

Myself and partner are due to pick our puppy soon. I kind of got over excited and mentioned to my parents that they could come with us....confused

Anyway, I mentioned this to my partner tonight and he said that he feels it should be just us going as it will be a special moment for us as a couple. I understand what he’s saying and I do agree. The breeder is 4 hours away.

How can I get out of this situation now without hurting my parents feelings? Could I say that the breeder has only asked for a maximum of two people to visit due to the puppies feeling overwhelmed? My parents are understanding people but I don’t want to cause any friction that isn’t needed !

I do make life hard for myself don’t I! blush

Thanks all smile

OP’s posts: |
Twooter Tue 10-Mar-20 22:04:14

Just tell them that on second thoughts you’d prefer it to just be the two of you. What happens if your mum and partner prefer different pups? You’d have to upset one of them then.

Branleuse Tue 10-Mar-20 22:06:26

Just say " actually sorry but just gonna go the two of us as we are going to make a romantic day of it, but will send u pics of pup we choose"

StillMedusa Tue 10-Mar-20 22:07:11

I'd just say the breeder doesn't want to upset the puppy and mother with too many people.. it will probably be true!

Pteuropa Wed 11-Mar-20 15:49:02

They’ll probably be relieved they don’t have to travel for 8 hours! I don’t think it’s a great idea for pup to be in the car for 4 hours with that many people anyway. It’ll be nervous and overwhelmed.

Roselilly36 Wed 11-Mar-20 15:56:20

Just the sort of thing I would say too! Yes, use the breeder says line, a little white lie to save feelings is probably the best way forward. Good luck OP.

TTlover Wed 11-Mar-20 16:27:23

Thanks all! grin

OP’s posts: |

Advertisement

Twooter Thu 12-Mar-20 08:27:26

Hi, thinking about this further, if you ever have children make sure your dm doesn’t assume she will be in the delivery room with you.
There are occasions which are special couple times and it’s worth keeping that in mind.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in