Any vets here? Dog yelping in pain

(5 Posts)
004aga Sun 08-Mar-20 23:12:33

Our 10yr old dog yelped twice in pain today when her ear was accidentally brushed by my hand. We took a look and couldn't see anything obvious, she was happy with us looking and stroking her head. I wondered if it was the beginning of an ear infection and wanted to know if anyone else had experience with this.

We are taking her to the vet tomorrow morning first thing. She has been a bit subdued but still eating and drinking OK.

OP’s posts: |
Nojeansplease Sun 08-Mar-20 23:53:58

Not a vet, but usually look out for hot ears, change in colour (if you can see- eg v red) and smell.

Could she have a grass seed or something in there, will she let you look?

DramaAlpaca Mon 09-Mar-20 00:02:28

My vet says ear infections tend to smell yeasty. I've a dog who's prone to them so that's one of the things I look out for.

ACoupleofPeaches Mon 09-Mar-20 08:56:06

Ear infections have a range of smells and may not be visible outside the ear. A vet check is very sensible.

TeacupRex Mon 09-Mar-20 12:36:25

My cocker spaniel had exactly the same symptoms recently - no visible signs of an ear infection (and has never had any issues with his ears before - quite unusual for a cocker lol), the vet took a look down there and noticed there was a little redness and wax, but not a full on infection. She wondered why he was making such a fuss about such a small thing! He had Surolan ear drops 2x a day for 2 weeks and that cleared whatever it was up.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in