How do get puppy to put on weight?

(10 Posts)
HowManyNameChangesNow Sun 01-Mar-20 10:02:08

Puppy is up to date with all injections + worming etc.
Vet has checked her out and just says to feed more.

How do I get her to put on weight? She is on Harringtons Puppy Food and is obviously being fed regularly throughout the day and more than the recommended amount on the packet.

She is a slow eater, but is always hungry.
I have recently started giving her our leftovers as well (much to the disgust of the barrel shaped labrador).

OP’s posts: |
fivedogstofeed Sun 01-Mar-20 11:16:25

What's worked for me has always been tinned sardines or mackerel in oil, and raw eggs over their normal food. If she's always hungry some extra protein will keep her going for longer.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Sun 01-Mar-20 11:46:14

Is she growing? Is she healthy? Does she have actual muscles? What breed is she?

A lot of breeds will be very ribby until they start to reach maturity, while at the same time stuffing their faces and growing like weeds. If she's of a largish breed it is to her benefit to keep the weight off and run her lean.

HowManyNameChangesNow Sun 01-Mar-20 23:49:46

Will try the eggs, she'll like that I think.

She is an Irish Setter, so supposed to be quite skinny, but currently I can see pretty much each rib.
The vet suggested I should only be able to see the last 2 ribs.

Buckets full of energy, which I think is part of the problem, she is just always on the go. We are being careful not to over excerise her because of her joints and muscles needing to mature.

She produces huge quantities of wees and poos. I'm sure if I just try and feed quantity rather than quality it will all go straight through her, so upping the protein is probably a good call.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Mon 02-Mar-20 06:31:10

If she has loads of energy and is growing, I really wouldn't worry. I've known breeds similar to the IS not fill out until turning 2.

And let her run. There's no scientific backing for the 5 minutes exercise per month of age rule.

fivedogstofeed Mon 02-Mar-20 06:55:36

Irish Setter? You'll never put weight on grin

Keepyourginup Mon 02-Mar-20 07:46:44

A little bowl of goats milk for supper. My breeder recommend it, our pup loves it.

Advertisement

CMOTDibbler Mon 02-Mar-20 07:49:25

How many meals a day? Some of them will need 4 or 5 meals a day to get enough food in. I'd change foods to something better than Harringtons and maybe give 3 wet meals and 2 dry meals a day (the dry ones are easy to phase out when they put on enough weight), and stop giving your leftovers as that is not what you want to encourage.

Are all her poos nice solid ones?

Witchonastick Mon 02-Mar-20 08:16:37

If she’s doing huge poos I’d say the food isn’t doing much good.
Be careful upping protein too much as it can make them a bit wired.
I had setters growing up, they were always skinny especially as youngsters.

HowManyNameChangesNow Tue 03-Mar-20 21:31:00

Ok. Thanks all. Will look at Eden dog food which I think is the next level up in tems of quality.
Currently getting 4 meals a day, but could possibly increase that to 5.
Poo is a little varied at the moment, but she has had her diet changed around a bit trying different things. Will monitor.
She is full of energy so I'll just keep working on it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in