Whats a dog nutritionist

(13 Posts)
Kirkman Tue 25-Feb-20 19:07:36

Hi

Theres someone on a dog Facebook group giving out advice as a 'qualified dog nutritionist'. She has approached me and offered her services, in regards to my rescue dog. But I cant seem to find on google, wether this is a real thing or not. Or just someone who has done a couple of courses that doesnt really mean anything.

Can anyone advise?

OP’s posts: |
AvocadosBeforeMortgages Tue 25-Feb-20 21:33:15

What are the qualifications she says she has?

What are the issues that make you think you may need the services of a dog nutritionist?

Kirkman Tue 25-Feb-20 22:10:34

This is what makes me suspicious. She also has a book out. But I cant find her credentials anywhere.

My spaniel is moulting (is that how you spell it🙈) she is insisting the dig is vitamin deficient. That spaniels dont really moult.

I have seen her doing this a couple of times. I wont be using her. Both my dogs are seen monthly by the vet at the moment. One is a puppy and the other comes along for a check when the puppy is weighed for worming tablets. Vet also gives the older one the once over just because she loves her. Ots a local village vet so we know her well. Both dogs are very healthy. But I do think people could be engaging her that dont need to or at least being sold her book.

What other people do isnt really my business. But I did wonder what a qualified dog nutritionist is. She doesnt say she has any other animal medical training. Just that.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 26-Feb-20 07:44:48

I think we both smell bullshit grin

As she's approached you, I'd be tempted to ask her what the qualifications she holds actually are.

You'll probably find it's the Pets at Home Saturday girl certificate in advising dog owners on nutrition (aka how to flog dog food) or something hmm

Kirkman Wed 26-Feb-20 09:44:40

Yep

So I was waiting for my computer to search a database at work and found her on LinkedIn.

She is, apparantly not qualified in anything relating to dogs or animals at all.

She has done some 2 day nutrition courses and is actually a human 'nutritionist' (which I believe actually means very little) she also owns a dog groomers, but appears to not to any qualifications for that either.

She claims to be a breed specific groomer, will only groom that breed, exclusively, with 30 years experience. Except she is about 35. The groomers facebook shows she grooms all sorts of dogs and isnt qualified in anything to do with animals.

What's worse is the people who run the breed specific facebook group have endorsed her book so people are thinking what she says is legitimate.

RedRed9 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:23:44

I thought you can be a qualified dietician but there’s no such thing as a qualified nutritionalist.

Kirkman Wed 26-Feb-20 11:27:31

Yeah I think that's right. She has done some courses. But it's all those that you pay £100 and do a 2 day course. Usually sold along side the 'become a PT in 5 days' courses.

Advertisement

Kirkman Wed 26-Feb-20 13:28:33

I think she has been rumbled.

All her posts in that group have gone including an advert for her self published book. The only trace of her being there is when people have commented 'her name, that's really bad advice' and the like.

Not sure if she has removed them or admin have. I hope no one paid to engage her services

UnexpectedItemInTheShaggingAre Wed 26-Feb-20 13:38:53

Sounds dodgy kirkman
And FWIW I’m always covered in spaniel hair. I find them very moulty

DogInATent Wed 26-Feb-20 13:54:58

£20 and a multiple choice test gets you a certificate in nutrition online, or you can print one up yourself.

It's not a protected term and anyone can call themselves a nutritionist or a nutritional therapist (human or animal). The profession dietician is regulated and you must be properly qualified to call yourself that.

It's impossible to underestimate the public demand to be told something mystical/pseudo-scientific and sold a tub of foo-foo powder.

DogInATent Wed 26-Feb-20 13:55:29

Oops, should be "over-estimate"

Kirkman Wed 26-Feb-20 15:34:58

Yeah, I have had at least one cocker at all times since I was 17. Shedding is part of the deal. Some more than others, but all have shed to some degree. It's all part of the fun grin

It was her insistence that it must be vitamin deficiency despite having 30 years experience of grooming cockers and saying that they shed very very little of at all. Someone even said, check with a vet when they are next there if you are worried or it's a huge amount. But that wasnt enough. You would have though any cocker shedding was at deaths door.

She was a massive fan of commenting 'vets NOW!' And that's it. confused

Just such a weird situation with her now disappearing.

WeeNippy Wed 26-Feb-20 15:38:09

There's no such thing. You can get free and indepth nutrition advice from a qualified veterinary nurse at your veterinary practice.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in