Insurance

(4 Posts)
shopsalot Mon 24-Feb-20 09:42:28

Hi all

My 7mth old pup started limping on Friday last week. Not sure why but he had run wild on a walk through the woods - a new walk and all very exciting! Anyway, I took him to the vet who couldn't find anything wrong but thought probably just a 'sprain' and put him on rest (fun with teenage dog). The cost of the vet was less than my insurance excess. Should I still talk to the insurance company just in case the sprain develops into something else? I'm a bit confused as to how the whole pet insurance thing works. He's been to the vet a couple of times for diarrhoea / sickness and I've just paid as again it's been quite low in cost. Anyone know the rules? Should I just phone and ask my insurance company??

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
MadameLeFunky Mon 24-Feb-20 09:49:43

If you don't want to claim you don't have to tell them. It shouldn't impact any later claims for a smilar/same thing in any way. Plus, most insurers give you a time period in which to claim so you can wait a month (check the specific time period for your policy) and see if it develops into something more serious. If it does, then you just include this cost as part of the bigger claim.

However, even if you haven't claimed it is still on the dog's record so if you ever changed insurers then the new insurer is likely to exclude similar issues from your new cover. e.g. a sprain may mean a new insurer won't cover any further sprains on that leg, or all legs.

It varies by insurer so just something to keep a watch for if you ever do want to switch.

shopsalot Mon 24-Feb-20 11:56:21

Thanks @MadameLeFunky. I am with Boughtbymany which seems to have a year limit to claim. The vet couldn't even tell which leg it was (neither could I!) but he was limping. I just don't want to get in a situation where the insurers wouldn't pay because I'd not claimed the original cost or premium increasing because I tell them about every little thing.

OP’s posts: |
MadameLeFunky Mon 24-Feb-20 12:19:07

If it helps I am with BBM. Over the last year I have claimed around £3k for a persistent infection. I just got my renewal quote through - £3pm higher than last year. Not so bad smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in