Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
tips for moving house with a dog(4 Posts)
We have a nearly 1 year old lab/pointer, and we are moving house in two weeks. Never moved house with a dog before. His routines won't particuarly change although his walk locations might change slightly. Is there anything I should consider, look out for etc?
He is spending two days/one night in kennels over the actual move.
Things I do:
- make sure not to wash their bedding before the move so it's nice and stinky of them in the new house
- keep a closer eye on them and do a bit of toilet training refresh just to make sure the learning transfers to the new house succesfully
- try not to have any other stressors for a few days post move, so limited visitors, workmen etc. If at all possible.
- make sure their first impression of the new house is a good one so only take them in when I've got time to spend encouraging them to explore etc.
- and keep their routine as much the same as possible (which you've covered)
Not just toilet training - all training might need a bit more work in the new place.
For example, if he's stopped chewing things he shouldn't in the old house, just be careful he doesn't start in the new house because different things = different rules.
I would add, go back to basics a bit with leaving him alone. If there’s a specific room he is going to be left alone in, then leave him for a short time while you are elsewhere , and build it up, as you did when he was younger.
Probably accelerated, but this was the bit my boy was less happy about, being alone in an unfamiliar place with different noises. ( he’s a bit of a wimp though😂)