Dog aggression

(6 Posts)
KTBKB Tue 11-Feb-20 22:21:55

Hi there , I’m looking for some advice with my dogs please
I have a 13 year old American bulldog , she is lovely natured , loves the kids , quite a chilled lazy dog . We added another American bulldog puppy to our family 4 months ago and our 13 year old had just became a different dog . She is possessive which understandable however the past two weeks she has became aggressive to the puppy.... well she is 6 months old now and quite big so .... but she has also became aggressive toward us , only when there is food around. However she had snapped at us around 4 times on the last couple of weeks , along with growling and snarling at us . What do I do , please help

OP’s posts: |
VanillaGodzilla Wed 12-Feb-20 04:18:59

You get the older dog a vet check ASAP to make sure there isn’t a medical cause for the change in behaviour.

If she gets the medical all clear you make sure the puppy can never bother her - removing the puppy every time she tries. And you call in a qualified, science based behaviourist to help you manage the situation.

Failing that you return the puppy to the breeder and allow the older dog to live out her remaining years in peace.

Honestly I think they are your only options.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 12-Feb-20 07:59:59

The 13yo is an old woman. She wants to sit in her armchair, knit, do the crossword and watch Corrie in peace.

What you've introduced into the mix is a needy toddler who is probably using your old lady as a jungle gym and playmate all in one, and she's not getting much of a break - no wonder she's fed up.

When puppies are very young, they have what's known as "puppy licence", where other dogs let them get away with murder because they're recognised as babies. That's now worn off for your puppy, which (assuming no undiagnosed pain in your older dog) probably explains the change in her attitude.

I'd be looking at
- feeding the dogs separately
- limiting pup's access to the older dog, using baby gates
- ensuring puppy is getting enough exercise, both mental and physical.
- ensuring puppy only gets access to the older dog when calm and moderately tired (eg half an hour after a walk).
- send puppy to doggy day care for a couple of days a week so that puppy can run around with other likemimded young dogs, while the old lady gets some peace and quiet.

If you're not seeing a prompt improvement in relations by following the above info, contact your local APBC or CCAB accredited behaviourist and ask for help.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 12-Feb-20 08:01:16

This exact scenario was covered in this episode - worth you having a watch!
10 Puppies and Us, Series 1: Episode 1: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08zm778 via @bbciplayer

Booboostwo Wed 12-Feb-20 08:38:12

You take her to the vets, you get a behaviourist, you do not follow advice from the internet on an aggressive dog.

Whynosnowyet Thu 13-Feb-20 14:03:51

Op my ddog (rottweiler) isn't the most good natured but her behaviour changed long before our dpuppy came along. After surgery for cancer last year she continued with an obsession for drinking. Followed by occasional food issues. Vet has said most likely a brain tumour. Post op they found a heart murmur and as she is 10 won't attempt surgery anyway. After an aggressive incident today I have made the frankly bloody heart wrenching decision to have her pts next week. She isn't herself anymore and only I have the power to change that for her.
With dc - one only 5 - keeping an aggressive unhappy ddog is very irresponsible of me.
Gutted doesn't cover it.
See your vet op. We may be in the same boat..

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in