100% increase in premium - reasonable?

(5 Posts)
Panicmode1 Fri 07-Feb-20 15:51:55

My 5 year old GR has had a (teeny) mast cell tumour in her eyelid and has had treatment over the past two years. The first year (2017-18) I claimed for her, I was paying c. £43 a month and claimed £4500. Last year (2018-19), I was paying £53 a month, and claimed £1500. My renewal has just come through and they want me to now pay over £100 a month.

I understand that she is a) a year older and b) has cost a lot of money and I did understand that I would have to pay more, but was expecting c. £75 a month. To double the premiums, especially when I claimed less last year than the year before, seems distinctly unfair to me. Or is it?

I called my insurer (Tesco) who have been really good up to now, but they won't budge - is there anything I can do? I can't move because cancer won't be covered so they have me over a barrel.....

OP’s posts: |
TheFastandTheCurious Fri 07-Feb-20 16:41:38

That's a big increase, we've had our for 7 years, she's had 3 knee ops, just had a load of xrays, ultrasounds, blood, urine and poo tests, we've claimed a lot. We've gone from £18£/month 7 years ago to £60/month as of this month

Panicmode1 Fri 07-Feb-20 18:16:59

Yes, I think that they are taking the mickey a bit - I'm going to write to customer service and then take it to the Ombudsman. I don't think that I should be penalised unfairly - I was expecting an increase, just not such a whopping one.

Can I ask who you are with @TheFastandTheCurious?

OP’s posts: |
Floralnomad Fri 07-Feb-20 18:19:09

Have you tried increasing the excess and keeping the premium down a bit that way .

moochew Fri 07-Feb-20 19:10:19

My insurance went up from £40/month to £98/month after I claimed nearly £2k for a cancelled holiday after my dog had been attacked and needed surgery. So even when he didn't have an ongoing condition they seemed determined to get their money back of us.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in