Dog leads dogs can’t chew through?

(8 Posts)
Basmatirice Sun 26-Jan-20 18:05:50

My seven month old puppy has chewed through two dog leads! He’s very well-behaved and happy, but I guess he doesn’t like being on the lead confused

Any recommendations for leads they can’t chew through?

Would prefer something a bit eco friendly too. Recycled plastic etc.

Not mega fond of metal ones, but maybe they’re the best option?

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Sun 26-Jan-20 18:09:09

we have one similar to this and it has lasted all through puppy-hood with a dog who likes to chew

QuillBill Sun 26-Jan-20 18:15:41

I got a short metal chain from Amazon and then clipped an ordinary lead to that so she could only reach the metal part. Having the metal did put a stop to the chewing as she didn't want to chew metal.

EnglishRain Sun 26-Jan-20 18:32:09

I vote metal chain lead too! It's just not interesting to them and they will usually then grow out of it. If you get a tough lead that is still synthetic material the odds are the chewing will continue, just without severe damage.

My eldest golden did this as a puppy. He grew out of it after the metal lead was introduced for a couple months.

frostedviolets Sun 26-Jan-20 18:46:05

Chain.

Theoscargoesto Sun 26-Jan-20 20:51:03

I sympathise, mine is a lead chewer! We were advised to soak lead in tabasco (that didn't work), put pepper on it (no dice) and even slather it with Vicks vapo-rub. That stopped her for a week or so. In the end, eternal vigilance was the answer. But one night we took her to the pub and ate there, she was really good, tired out after a long walk and asleep under the table. I got quite excited to see an almost identical dog hoovering crumbs across the room......and it was, of course, Oscardog. Ooops!! She has grown out of it now (she is nearly 2)

LochJessMonster Mon 27-Jan-20 10:33:14

A lightweight metal lead.

You will only need to use it for a short time until he learns its not fun to chew, then you can swap back to a material one.

Advertisement

Nojeansplease Mon 27-Jan-20 10:33:19

Just be careful as ours will still chew metal! Then obviously it’s a worry for their teeth!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in