Which car

(14 Posts)
Lara53 Wed 22-Jan-20 20:45:48

Hello! We are excitedly awaiting the birth of our Golden Retriever pup. My current car is not suitable so at some point in the next few months I will need a replacement. Ideally needs to be an estate or MPV with a large boot. What cars do you have with larger dogs? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Witchonastick Thu 23-Jan-20 15:30:51

Shogun, but I have giant a breed and live rurally.

Wolfiefan Thu 23-Jan-20 15:33:22

I had an S max and loved it. The only thing is that it’s high. You need to be able to lift the dog in or use a ramp.
We now have our second giant breed so a van!!

Stellaris22 Thu 23-Jan-20 15:43:32

We have a Ford Focus estate as we have a medium to large breed. Also do a camping activity with large canvas tents regularly so can say the boot space is excellent, admittedly we got it for this before getting a dog!

Sexnotgender Thu 23-Jan-20 15:44:15

I’ve got 2 greyhounds and have a Skoda Fabia Estate.

Moondancer73 Thu 23-Jan-20 15:48:44

Octavia estate - huge boot and loads of legroom

handinclove Thu 23-Jan-20 15:51:49

We've got a Mokka. What's most important is the height of the boot. Our large dog can sit up in our car which is what we wanted. I found the boots on most SUVs taller that estate cars.

Advertisement

Xiaoxiong Thu 23-Jan-20 16:14:31

We have a GSDx Lab and she is very happy in the boot of our Vauxhall Astra estate. It's tall enough for her to completely sit up, the window doesn't slope down too much.

CMOTDibbler Thu 23-Jan-20 16:19:18

We have two lurchers, and have a Skoda Superb (actually the boot is a bit big for them) and an elderly Honda CRV (perfect size boot). We are just about to replace the Skoda with a new CRV.

If you can run to it, a car where you can fit a car crate so the dog is in there and you still have some boot space is great - otherwise everything goes on the back seat

rabbitsandrhubarb Sat 25-Jan-20 22:26:49

Subaru Forester - estate, but with 4 wheel drive, perfect for 2 springer spaniels. Slightly higher ground clearance than a standard estate, but not as high as our previous Discovery - this becomes important as the dog gets older and is not so able to jump in to the boot. Also check that the boot is flat ie has no lip - makes it easier for dog to jump in or for you to put the crate (or shopping, or anything heavy) into the boot.

When we were looking for new cars we took our crate with us to check it would fit in the boot.

VanillaGodzilla Sat 25-Jan-20 23:06:45

Tiguan - enough space for our 30kg dog but we also considered the Passat and golf estate which also have huge boot space.

Labralion Sat 25-Jan-20 23:10:41

We got a vauxhall Astra estate and the boot is huge! We got a boot separator for those trips away and it's been perfect for our large lab! It was a great price too, very affordable.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sat 25-Jan-20 23:10:44

Used to fit three Labradors in the back of my (tardis) Honda CRV.

lisag1969 Sun 26-Jan-20 02:40:07

Volkswagen Tiguan. X

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in