Possessive dog and getting another - bad idea?

(3 Posts)
Floralnomad Tue 21-Jan-20 09:17:08

Sounds to me like your dog is happy as an only dog so I don’t think I’d be introducing potential problems .

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Mon 20-Jan-20 22:45:36

I would engage professional support from day 1, to try and get things off to the best start.

I would, however, question what you hope to gain from a second DDog - whose benefit is it for?

Anchovies12 Mon 20-Jan-20 19:33:04

We had 2 dogs up until about 5 years ago when our older dog died. We got the 2nd dog as a rescue collie x lab puppy and she was firmly attached to her pal, well trained and sociable. She is now almost 8 and is pretty grumpy with other dogs, she doesnt play with them, preferring to be with us. We have thought for a long time about another rescue and we are meeting a 5 year old lab x on Saturday.

Today we were in the park when another young dog bounded over to dd and I. Our dog was fine off her lead near him until he came close to dd and then was suddenly very aggressive, she snarled and snapped at him.

I am now panicking that she is going to really struggle with us getting another dog. Maybe she would just be better on her own? Has anyone got any thoughts as to whether this is a terrible idea or whether it could all work out ok?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in