New pup

(27 Posts)
Maddiemoosmum0203 Fri 17-Jan-20 15:07:07

Hi I’m after advice as to wether to crate train our new pup he’s a GSD 9 weeks old and so far he’s been a dream,
We had our last pup till she was 18 but she was a JRT so a different kettle of fish she never used a crate and trained really well,
We did had a springer he only lasted till 4 years old sadly due to cancer he was crate trained and it worked well.
I’m unsure what to do with our new pup I’m home 90% of the time so wont be left for longer than a hour

OP’s posts: |
Whynosnowyet Fri 17-Jan-20 15:11:08

Mm dpuppy indeed.
Pic or it didn't happen..

Maddiemoosmum0203 Fri 17-Jan-20 15:12:40

Here’s Bailey

user1471449295 Fri 17-Jan-20 15:12:51

I crate trained and he still loves his crate. I think it gives him security, his own special space

Whynosnowyet Fri 17-Jan-20 15:17:12

We are still in the planning stage!! I have never used a crate as never saw the need tbh.
May be reconsidering when we get a dpuppy and integrating her into our adult ddoggy family for safety reasons - ie squashing factors!!
I would consider how big a crate you will need for your adult ddog and if you have space!! Our current ddogs have various beds which they know is safe space. Dc know to leave them be if asleep!

Beamur Fri 17-Jan-20 15:20:05

I've never had a puppy. My current dog has used a crate, again as a safe place whilst she settled in with us. But she's proven to be a quiet, non destructive dog and the crate took up too much space so we stopped using it. Used it briefly recently when introducing some new kittens.
Depends on the dog and your home. We have a nice quiet room we can shut the dog in if need be (the room she sleeps in anyway) and she has other places she can go if she wants to.

Nojeansplease Fri 17-Jan-20 16:14:51

I think it’s given ours more confidence having their own little den to run off and hide and take treasures like pizzle stix and the best toys.
Also there’s no chance our 15 week old could be trusted yet at night not to chew through wires or my furniture. Or even just walls and cupboards and radiators etc
It really depends if you have a full room you can puppy proof and what your pup is like.
Mine will try to chew through the wall if it takes his fancy so there’s not really a room I could leave him if it wasn’t for the crate and pen

Advertisement

Whynosnowyet Fri 17-Jan-20 18:40:13

Nojeansplease what sort of psycho dpuppy do you have?

Nojeansplease Fri 17-Jan-20 19:06:18

Haha she’s a terrier
Very well trained on the whole
But just really can’t help herself from tasting and just testing out how everything feels under those teeth.
It starts out as a little curious, sneaky side of the mouth nibble
And before you know it she’s going to town on it!
I spend a small fortune on chews to keep her attention on them instead of the rest of the house

Whynosnowyet Fri 17-Jan-20 19:24:15

Stealth boast alert...
We got this 6 years ago and hasn't chewed a thing!!

Nojeansplease Fri 17-Jan-20 19:27:52

So gorgeous!!!
I’ve not lost anything except a few amazon boxes yet luckily
But I can’t imagine now chewing!

percheron67 Fri 17-Jan-20 19:46:10

Crates are an expensive waste of money. Just put the puppy's bed in a quiet corner and make sure it has warmth and a few toys.

Whynosnowyet Fri 17-Jan-20 20:09:30

Actually I just remembered about the new lino....
<retracts stealth boast >
blush

Nojeansplease Fri 17-Jan-20 20:34:56

Wow someone got carried away with that Lino!!

@percheron67 I would hate to think how much money we would have ‘wasted’ replacing furniture...and paying vet bills if it wasn’t for our waste of money crate!
I think it just depends on your dog! I had ones as kids with no crate and no bother
Some houses are fairly puppy proof
Some people aren’t that bothered about little teeth marks in the sides of things
Just got to do what’s right for you

Sweetpea1989 Fri 17-Jan-20 20:41:38

I have a GSD and they love to please and be stimulated with training, I would say absolutely no need for a crate if you’re willing to put the time in, you will have an obedient dog for life.
Prepare for a GSD to be a one person dog, mine loves me much more than the hubby grin

Wolfiefan Fri 17-Jan-20 20:44:35

If you’re on FB look at Dog training advice and support for their advice in crate training. It takes time to do it properly. But it’s worth it. Means your dog can be penned at the vets or groomers or travel in a crate in the car without fuss.

Nojeansplease Fri 17-Jan-20 20:49:42

@wolfiefan yes this was one of our reasons too. Our dog will need to go to the groomers and vets and we want the set up to be as familiar as possible so it’s all less distressing!
Ours is prone to a bit of clingyness too and the crate has really helped.

That said I’m envious of those who don’t need one!

Wolfiefan Fri 17-Jan-20 21:04:52

Plus recovery post surgery etc.
It’s useful.
My pup sleeps happily in one. It means my living room is safe. grin

Whynosnowyet Fri 17-Jan-20 21:24:38

New dpuppy will most def not be another dhusky....

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Sat 18-Jan-20 13:19:00

I've never used a crate in the house and never needed to. Mine crate in the car with zero fuss. Current youngster will stay crated in the car with the boot open for hours without any issues.

We puppy-proof as far as possible until the dog gets some sense.

Whynosnowyet Sat 18-Jan-20 13:38:32

Or until you have nothing worth chewing left!!

Maddiemoosmum0203 Mon 20-Jan-20 10:21:04

Thanks everyone,
We have ordered one it’s arriving today.
So far he hasn’t destroyed anything he has plenty of toys and I’m sleeping on the sofa next to him so he can be let out at night.
I think it will be useful for him to have his own space and for visits to the vets and the Inlaws we visit them often overnight
So far he’s been a brilliant addition for our family after loosing our beloved Molly in November at 18

BossAssBitch Mon 20-Jan-20 11:11:28

Our dogs love their crate, it’s their place of security and refuge. They take themselves off to it after long walks and happily trot off into it when it’s bedtime.

Whynosnowyet Mon 20-Jan-20 12:59:17

Has anyone thoughts on ddogs sharing? A new thread having an awful outcome on ddogs sharing....
sad
Be warned if you see it..

Helenluvsrob Mon 20-Jan-20 13:58:36

Dogs crate sharing ?
We never were told the greed of dog on the very sad thread.
My pups mum shares with his sister and her mum still but they are CKCS so small lap dogs

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in