Eye drops

(4 Posts)
PottersonDayz Tue 14-Jan-20 07:48:28

Our Lhasa Apso puppy (8 months) had a bit of a mishap yesterday and has an injured eye. She's currently wearing the cone of shame and has two sets of eye drops throughout the day.

One of the eye drops is like a gel and we're really struggling to get it into her eye and she's getting really distressed when we're trying to get it in.

We've tried with one of us holding her but we are just not having any luck.

Does anyone have any tips for administering these kinds of eye drops?

OP’s posts: |
AvocadosBeforeMortgages Tue 14-Jan-20 08:22:08

I've had the eye drops drama twice now.

My tips are
- use a basket muzzle, smeared with peanut butter. It means you can be more no nonsense as you know the dog can't bite, keeps the dog occupied with the peanut butter, and gives you something to hold onto that controls the dog's head
- approach the eye from behind, so you're coming at it with the dropper from the corner of the eye (it's less scary!). You'll have to temporarily remove the cone of shame to make it possible though.

PottersonDayz Tue 14-Jan-20 09:15:48

Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
FleaTrainerExtraordinaire Tue 14-Jan-20 10:26:24

I have also had some success with using my finger tip instead. Obviously make sure your hard are scrupulously clean first or use sterile, medical gloves. Add a bit of the gell to your finger and use to to deposit into the corner of the eye, trying not to touch the eye at all. Then manipulate the eyelid to encourage the the drops across the eye ball.

Wash your hands again.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in