We've moved and our dog is barking all night - please, please give me your tips

(11 Posts)
Entreprecurious Thu 09-Jan-20 10:38:39

We've recently moved into a garden flat and the dog went nuts for most of last night. She's unused to the noise of the people upstairs and barks every time she hears the slightest sound there or in the vicinity. I am absolutely shattered, so tired in fact that I managed to scrape another car when dropping the kids at school this morning. I didn't get more than 30 mins sleep in one go last night trying to keep her quiet. It's disturbing DH and the kids too, and doubtless the neighbours. DH is all for trialling one of those soft muzzles but I'm really reluctant - please tell me if there's anything else I can do to stop her.

OP’s posts: |
BillHadersNewWife Thu 09-Jan-20 10:57:33

Where is she sleeping?

Entreprecurious Thu 09-Jan-20 11:03:42

We've tried different things. To start with she was in her basket in our room. Last night when she went totally nuts I had her on the bed. When that wouldn't work, I took her into the living room where she continued barking, eventually I slept on the sofa and picked her up every time she started barking.

BillHadersNewWife Thu 09-Jan-20 11:18:51

Is it when you can also hear a noise above? I'm wondering if she's hearing something you can't...a sonic type noise perhaps?

Is she ok during the day?

I'd try putting the radio on low in the same room as her. See if it dulls the sound.

Take a note to your neighbours and apologise...explain the dog isn't usually this way but is getting used to the new flat.

FlorenceKettle Thu 09-Jan-20 11:21:58

Try a radio tuned in to some crackly white noise. Maybe a hot water bottle too for some comfort

Entreprecurious Thu 09-Jan-20 11:22:51

Thanks Bill sometimes she's responding to a sound I can hear, e.g. people walking around upstairs, and sometimes I can't hear a thing. I will try the radio trick, that's helpful.

And a note to the neighbours is an excellent idea

BillHadersNewWife Thu 09-Jan-20 11:24:39

Also, she doesn't feel safe there yet...try to get her to associate your bedroom with safety and pleasure. Get her in there during the day when you see she's calm and give her some treats.

Play with her or scratch her tummy too.

Advertisement

Beamur Thu 09-Jan-20 11:28:00

Are the plug in pheromones for cats also made for dogs? Calming effect.
I think you can use rescue remedy on dogs too (please check properly first!) You can add that to food.

LovelyPuddings Thu 09-Jan-20 13:47:54

Leave a lamp on and the radio. See how she gets on then...

DH is all for trialling one of those soft muzzles

An absolute No for a dog that is going to be left/unsupervised. This is dangerous as it prevents her drinking, panting, etc. Soft muzzles should never be used to prevent barking, only short term to ensure anyone handling the dog is safe (e.g. vets).

BillHadersNewWife Fri 10-Jan-20 00:55:43

How did she do last night?

Entreprecurious Fri 10-Jan-20 09:45:40

Thanks so much for your comments and apologies that I didn't have time to post again yesterday. Last night was a lot better though still some bouts of barking. I got in loads of treats and when she started barking used those as a distraction, which seemed to help. Also though, the people upstairs didn't seem to be around or at least were very quiet so that didn't bother her.

I've also booked a dog training class for the weekend, and the lady who runs them does one-to-one sessions where she will advise on this kind of thing.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in