Talk

Advanced search

How did you know when the time was right for another dog?

(6 Posts)
LatteLover12 Sat 28-Dec-19 13:43:22

I have a very happy, settled Lurcher. She's two.

I am keen to get another dog (probably another pointy dog) but I'm not sure whether it would upset current ddog.

The plan would be to rehome an older rescue as there seem to be so many in local shelters but I don't seem to be able to make the final decision to go for it.

How did you know when the time was right?

OP’s posts: |
BillHadersNewWife Sat 28-Dec-19 13:54:13

Our dog (Marrema) was 3 and a half...we'd always wanted another...then a friend told us about a little dog who needed a home. She'd been removed from neglect. We met her and took her home immediately. They got on SO well. Still do a few months later. We didn't know...we just guessed!

LatteLover12 Sat 28-Dec-19 20:02:30

Thanks @BillHadersNewWife smile

Bump

Sayhellotothethings Tue 31-Dec-19 15:04:23

If you want an older rescue, I'd say when yours has shaken it's bouncy puppy behaviours when interacting with other dogs. So probably 2 upwards, 3 to be safe.

A rescue will let you bring your own dog along to meetings with a potential new dog so you can begin to introruce them.

Honeyroar Tue 31-Dec-19 17:26:25

Dogs seem to just find us! Always rescued, but often spur of the moment or found wandering dumped in the local countryside. The last one was a Mumsnet dog in a dodgy situation that needed help!

Even though it’s been difficult merging some dogs into the family (jealous existing dogs or very nervous new dogs etc, or settling cats to accepting them) we’ve always got there in the end. It’s much easier if the dogs have the same energy levels and interests!

LatteLover12 Wed 01-Jan-20 13:56:01

Thanks for this, it's really helpful. I think you're right about waiting another year to make sure the puppyness is definitely out of her! She can still be quite excited about meeting other dogs.

Must stop looking at the rescue sites 😬

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in