Do labs have a second adolescence?

(8 Posts)
punter Tue 24-Dec-19 18:08:54

Our younger lab will be 3 in March. We have survived the puppy stage and then the 1-18 month adolescence stage. Mostly he is great and trots on with his older 'brother' lab on walks and recall is fine. BUT sometimes, and it may be food related, he stops, sniffs the air and is off to the cricket club ground, or to see another person or to greet another dog. Today I was told by an acquaintance that it was about time he learnt to be disciplined. She has a black lab that just meekly follows in her footsteps - same age actually. So do they go through another stage of not listening or being over friendly? As you may tell her comment has upset me.

OP’s posts: |
MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 24-Dec-19 18:11:01

My friends lab still hasn't left his first. I think he's 7.

Sayhellotothethings Tue 24-Dec-19 18:39:28

Bigger breeds can have a final hormone spike at around 24 months, as they take longer to develop. I would think a lab would be done before this though.

Her view is quite archaic, using the term disciplined. Be your dog's funnest option over other people, and the most rewarding. If his recall isn't strong it is a training issue, not a lack of discipline (I prefer the term boundaries).

Metaplasia Tue 24-Dec-19 18:59:00

My lab is 5 now. He is as much of a giant lumbering idiot as the day we got him. I can't say I've noticed any differences in behaviour in terms of his age. Makes for some funny stories though, would be very boring if he was perfectly behaved all the time.

YuletideFairy Tue 24-Dec-19 19:04:47

Today I was told by an acquaintance that it was about time he learnt to be disciplined. She has a black lab that just meekly follows in her footsteps

What did she mean by that?

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Dec-19 19:07:02

Do you reinforce the training you did? My dog is three and I still reinforce things like wait before she gets out the car. I’ve also been known to play hide and seek! grin

punter Tue 24-Dec-19 22:07:21

Thanks all. I think she meant that he appeared undisciplined in the moment ie greeting her enthusiastically and attempting to play chase with her lab.
I may have assumed that recall and behaviour were sorted by now, but I agree it is a continuing process and I need to return to basics sometimes. Just not enough hours in the day!

OP’s posts: |

Advertisement

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Dec-19 22:53:38

We play the “touch” game. I ask her to touch my hand with her nose and she gets a treat. The Total Recall book is brilliant.
Your lab sounds lovely by the way!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in