Sudden Behaviour Change in 10 month old Lab

(12 Posts)
JennyJellyBelly Thu 19-Dec-19 15:10:54

Hi I've got a 10 month old Lab who is doing just fine with toileting, sitting, recall etc
Every day we go to the local dog park, everyone is friendly and all the dogs run around together with no problems.
This morning as we were leaving there was a dog on a lead also just leaving. Well my dog went barmy, he dragged me down the road on his lead after this other dog, whining and barking frantically.
For a good hour after we got home he continued to whine and look out the window, he's still not totally settled.
Any.idea why he's doing this? does he fancy the other dog?! The vet has said not to neuter until 18 months.
I hate seeing him so.upsetconfused

OP’s posts: |
WhatAStupidIdea Thu 19-Dec-19 15:18:31

Possibly a bitch in season?

LochJessMonster Thu 19-Dec-19 15:23:35

Aww hes in love!

10months in peak hormone time for labs, I'll bet anything it was a female dog.

Its not a problem, just try to distract him and walk away from the other dog.

JennyJellyBelly Thu 19-Dec-19 16:48:54

It was a male doggrin who he has met before many times. But yea I think he took a shine to him.
It broke my heart to hear him crying.
What age has anyone had their Labs neutered please?

JennyJellyBelly Thu 19-Dec-19 16:50:04

I guess I.made the mistake of leaving at the same time as the other dog, I should have stayed and let him play with someone else. Lesson learnt

Dreamersandwishers Thu 19-Dec-19 20:21:38

Hi @jennyjellybaby , I am playing Mumsnet catch-up.

My lovely lab boy was 3when we neutered him. We left him till then on vets advice as he is pretty submissive.
He and a neighbouring male dog really bonded when he was about 7 months old and they used to cry out to each other as we passed gardens. Nothing sexual, just a bromance. They still love each other to this day ( they are both almost 9)but are a bit quieter about it. 😍
They are both just really kind dogs .

EnglishRain Thu 19-Dec-19 20:30:20

I neutered my golden at 10 months on veterinary advice st the time. It was too early and I wouldn't do it again. We got my Mum's lab done when he was 18 months. Ideally if leave it until they're quite mature. I haven't spayed my bitch yet and she's 3.

Advertisement

JennyJellyBelly Thu 19-Dec-19 21:10:29

Thanks everyone, isn't it funny how they can take a strong liking to one dog and hate anothergrin
we will wait until 18 months to neuter.

LochJessMonster Fri 20-Dec-19 11:24:37

It was a male dog I apologise, its 2019, I shouldn't have assumed anything ;)

But thinking about it, if we walk past my dogs best friends house he whines.

Yupimahelecopter Fri 20-Dec-19 14:02:10

I just had my lab neutered, he was one in October, just after 10 months he turned in to a dog from hell, he ran out of a field after a lady with a dog on a lead, his recall completely went out the window, he started chewing..trying to fight other dogs, I had an add on gumtree to get rid of him.. He was awful... But since the snip he's a completely different dog! He's so so lovely again smile hope this isn't the start of your lab being a nightmare aha

Yamihere Fri 20-Dec-19 14:14:31

I work with dogs and think it's likely the strange dog you met had hormonal problems or infected anal glands. This makes them somehow become irresistible to teenage boy dogs. Training tip, make a huge fuss and reward him when he starts paying you attention again after incidents like this.
Glad to hear that you are waiting til 18 months to neuter. I'd recommend longer (or never, like the Scandinavian countries). I've met so many (male especially) dogs that have fear based behaviour issues from being neutered too young.

JennyJellyBelly Fri 20-Dec-19 16:49:00

Thanks everyone. I took him to the park today and he was fine, although the dog from yesterday wasn't there. There's a female Lab in the park who isn't spayed and he was sniffing her for a bit but nowhere near as frantic as yesterday.
I would quite happily keep him intact for ever but will have to see how it goes with his behaviour.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in