Little wound on ddog - how to treat?

(10 Posts)
MissShapesMissStakes Wed 18-Dec-19 20:24:55

Just found this on ddog. He was licking it but I don’t think it’s bothered him much. Dh now says last night he was licking there and whimpering slightly but didn’t think to check or mention it hmm

Should I put something on it? Take him to the vets? Or leave it and see what happens. He could have caught it in the woods while leaping over stuff. Not sure it looks like a cut, bump or spot type thing though.

He’s still full of energy and ball chasing like a nutter.

OP’s posts: |
MissShapesMissStakes Wed 18-Dec-19 20:37:04

Ignore the mud on him. It sticks to his belly fluff like it’s made of Velcro.

StillMedusa Wed 18-Dec-19 22:00:50

I'd probably pop to the vets as I'm a neurotic first time dog owner :D

Shreksearcandle Wed 18-Dec-19 22:13:08

Looks like just a graze, leave it alone for a few days or give it a wipe and put Sudocrem on it just before you go on a long walk. Mine has paper thin skin and can go very fast so we get little nicks often and that doesn't look like a vet worthy trip to me.

mrsbyers Wed 18-Dec-19 22:20:31

Sudocrem

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 18-Dec-19 23:02:24

Honestly? I would leave it for a day, check if it's getting worse or if DDog was obviously (still) bothered by it, but I'd likely do nothing.

My own DDog is currently sporting what appears to be a small puncture wound on his face, likely obtained while playing with other dogs. I've done absolutely nothing to it and it's healing fine without intervention.

MissShapesMissStakes Wed 18-Dec-19 23:05:41

Thanks everyone. First time dog owner here too Medusa! Can’t believe I’ve coped without a dog till now.
Think I will leave it for now and see how it is tomorrow so we can fit in a non-out-of-hours vet visit if necessary.
I have sudocrem but is he likely to lick it off? He does seem to enjoy eating most things confused

Advertisement

PestyMachtubernahme Thu 19-Dec-19 08:37:40

Wash the area with some very diluted hihiscrub, rinse well and keep an eye on it. Repeat thr process daily, hopefully will be sorted soon.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 19-Dec-19 08:46:42

If he starts licking it obsessively, you might need to get him a cone of shame.

I'd keep an eye on it - my old dog has just had a few assorted lumps and bumps removed, nothing serious but probably caused by sunbathing (We've been recommended to use su cream on his barer areas next summer.) The location on what looks like lightly furred belly of a pale dog makes me wonder if it might possibly be something of that sort developing.

MissShapesMissStakes Thu 19-Dec-19 10:28:36

Thank you. I will def keep an eye on it. If it’s not looking a lot better by tomorrow I will get him to the vets I think.

He is a pale dog but more one for muddy walks and jumping over logs than sitting in the sun. So I’m hoping it’s just that he’s caught himself doing that.

It’s looking a lot more skin coloured now.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in