After anal gland “empty”

(5 Posts)
Namechangenance Mon 16-Dec-19 14:43:14

My bitch went to the vets today for her annual injection and I’d noticed for a while that she had a rancid smell coming from her back end. Anyway. When I told they vet she said her anal glands were too full and erm... emptied them I guess. But ever since I’ve brought her home she doesn’t seem herself at all. She’s shaking and tired. Is this normal? She’s usually full of beans.

OP’s posts: |
Spudlet Mon 16-Dec-19 14:45:48

They may have been a bit infected, which can be very painful. However ddog is prone to anal gland issues and he’s normally fine once he’s recovered from the indignity of a bum squeeze (followed by a warm soapy bun wash at home because 🤢 at the smell). If you’re worried ring the vet - they are all different, perhaps a more timid or sensitive dog than mine might be upset but in my experience it’s not a procedure that would usually cause long term upset?

Namechangenance Mon 16-Dec-19 14:48:31

Yes, she is a bit of a sensitive dog. Especially after the warm soapy wash of her botty. I’ll see how she is in the morning. Thank you!

Namechangenance Mon 16-Dec-19 16:49:11

Took her for a walk and gave her some treats and she’s back to her usual annoyingly energetic self. 😁

Spudlet Mon 16-Dec-19 16:58:38

Oh good! Perhaps she just took a bit longer to get over the indignity of it all grin My reprobate always manages to worm at least three dog biscuits out of the vet, so he doesn’t mind so much these days🙈

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in