Help please

(12 Posts)
iamthevirginmarywith2weans Tue 10-Dec-19 14:41:06

I can't cope with this situation anymore.

He eats his own poop and then comes in the house to vomit it back up all over the carpet/floor.

I'm constantly cleaning the carpet and floors as the baby is crawling.

He's been to the vet and he's perfectly healthy. I was told some dogs just do this contact this behaviourist and gave me a card. We worked with the behaviourist who couldn't crack the habit either.

I'm at the end of my tether, I don't know what else to do with him. I can't keep cleaning up poo vomit all the time. I don't want to shut him away in another room when he's on his way back in Incase he's eaten it.

I pick up the poos daily but in the mornings when it's crazy, hubby commuting to work, getting baby organised and taking eldest on school run I don't have time to stand with him and wait while he poops and then pick it up so he doesn't eat it.

Can someone please give me some advice on how to handle this situation?

Youngest goes in the pram and we walk for 2 hours while he runs about off lead so he gets the right exercise for his breed (other short walks aswell but that's the big one)

OP’s posts: |
LochJessMonster Tue 10-Dec-19 14:45:21

I don't have time to stand with him and wait while he poops and then pick it up so he doesn't eat it. I think this is the most logical option tbh.

Can you create a new routine for him, so the minute hes finished toileting, you take him to his bed and give him a special treat. Make it fun, the minute hes finished, cheer and say yay lets go, run to his bed with the treat.
Hopefully he will then associate toileting=quick time to get my treat.

Another useful option would be to teach a toileting command to encourage him to go when you want, rather than dawdling around the garden.

iamthevirginmarywith2weans Tue 10-Dec-19 14:53:11

It was fine to do that when baby wasn't here, but it's much harder to do it now she is.

It's been 2.5 years and this habit is still going strong.

I will try doing what you've suggested with the bed/treat. The behaviourist did something similar and he was scoffing the poop and then running back for the treat from me but I'll try it again.

Thank you.

nespressowoo Tue 10-Dec-19 14:56:30

I heard putting pineapple down with their food puts them off.

pigsDOfly Tue 10-Dec-19 15:01:00

I was going to suggest putting him on his lead and standing with him but you sound as if you've really got your hands full with everything else.

What about trying a change of his morning feeding time so that he poos a bit later when you do have time to spend with him?

Agree with LochJess, a poo command might be a good idea. My dog wees on command which I find very handy if I want to go out and leave her or before going to bed.

Tbh other than supervision I think this is a difficult one. It's just something some dogs do. Is he young? Some dog do it when young and grow out of it.

Maybe give the behaviourist a go.

Sounds awful for you. Wish I could help.

LochJessMonster Tue 10-Dec-19 15:01:32

he was scoffing the poop and then running back for the treat from me but I'll try it again Can you have him on a lead, so that you can pull him away from the poop and run with him to the bed?
It does take time for a habit to be broken, and a new habit to be formed.

Another suggestion would be to put a muzzle on him in the morning? A few weeks of not being able to eat the poop might break the habit/

pigsDOfly Tue 10-Dec-19 15:02:23

Sorry, I was typing slowly, just seen you've already seen a behaviourist.

Advertisement

iamthevirginmarywith2weans Tue 10-Dec-19 15:47:50

Brilliant suggestions - thank you everyone!!

Lots of things to try. Pineapple and lead first, will muzzle next and teach command.

I know labs eat everything but this is grim.

He's such a lovely dog but this is envy and there are no words or emojis for the smell of the sick...

MaryLennoxsScowl Tue 10-Dec-19 15:52:08

Can your DH either work from home or get a few days off to be there to look after baby/dog while you try to get the new habit set?

BiteyMcBiteFace Tue 10-Dec-19 15:56:13

Oh I see he's a lab hmm

Our old lab used to eat other dogs poo out on walks, but never his own though. Absolutely vile habit!

Is it just his own he eats? Have you considered changing his food? We tried various different foods and ours was worse on some and better on others, but we never got him to stop completely until we switched to raw feeding and he stopped overnight shock His was obviously diet related, but I understand it isn't always the case.

Span1elsRock Tue 10-Dec-19 15:57:27

You can get tablets to add to their food for this........

www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/stool-repel---um-tablets-30-count

We had a lab, she was very partial to other poop - we had to put her in a soft muzzle to stop her, and after 6 months or so, it seemed to have broken the cycle.

It's grim, you have my sympathy. Thankfully mine don't eat it.... they just roll in it instead hmm

SilentTights Tue 10-Dec-19 16:45:50

Was going to suggest a soft muzzle slipped on just before he is let out if you cannot stand over him.

Partner that with the new routine so:

1. muzzle on
2. let into garden and watched
3. poop
4. call into bed
5. take off muzzle
6. treats!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in