Talk

Advanced search

Best grain free dry puppy food?

(15 Posts)
TreeMenDos Sat 07-Dec-19 11:59:10

My heads spinning with choices

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Sat 07-Dec-19 12:35:05

Have you looked at allaboutdogfood.co.uk.

I wanted something with a named meat/fish of at least 60-70% and I picked millieswolfheart (before my dog went off the flavours) as it was suitable for both puppies and adults.

The thing is what you choose isn't sometimes what your dog prefers so maybe get some small bags of different brand to try.

MarleyMooChick Sat 07-Dec-19 13:04:00

I second Millie's Wolfheart. They have a product advice line.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Sat 07-Dec-19 16:19:46

Is there a specific reason why you want grain-free? Dogs have evolved to digest carbohydrate and there has been research that has implicated grain-free diets in health issues.

Soubriquet Sat 07-Dec-19 16:24:25

I use seven.

The kibble is tiny which is perfect for my two and it’s completely grain free

TreeMenDos Sat 07-Dec-19 17:49:15

Because my dog has a grain allergy, why else?

TreeMenDos Sat 07-Dec-19 17:49:43

I'll try Millies thanks smile

TheFaerieQueene Sat 07-Dec-19 17:54:24

Orijen is v good. Our 9 year old lab loves it. I’m sure their puppy food will be just as delicious!

Bonkersblond Sat 07-Dec-19 17:56:59

DDog is on grain free for health reasons, currently on Grain free James Well beloved, seems to suit her tummy as no tummy aches.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Sat 07-Dec-19 18:14:42

Because some people opt for grain-free because they think it's closer to a dog's 'natural' diet.
Because some people think it's healthier for dogs in general.

If you ask for advice, posters try to help. Being a touch snarky doesn't encourage them to help next time you ask.

MrsAgassi Sat 07-Dec-19 18:17:02

Canagan. We’ve been using it for a couple of years now. Happy dog and beautiful shiny coat!

Veterinari Sat 07-Dec-19 18:28:35

Which grain exactly and how was it diagnosed? Grain free diets have been linked to cardiomyopathy and other health problems so I wouldn’t opt for a grain free diet. There are a whole variety of grains and it’s very unlikely your dog is allergic to all of them.

If your dog has a specific allergy then a hypoallergenic or hydrolysed diet would be a safer option and ensure all appropriate nutrients are provided.

Ihuntmonsters Sun 08-Dec-19 02:47:27

My dog has cardiomyopathy caused by a taurine deficiency that the vet thinks is related to eating grain free food. No hard evidence has surfaced yet as to why non grain kibble seems to be correlated to DCM, but my dog's heart health has improved massively now he is on large taurine and L cartanine supplements. We are thinking about moving him to a raw diet now.

Savidog Sun 08-Dec-19 03:34:22

I would avoid grainfree until they figure out what exactly is causing the DCM link on those foods....The fda reports are only the tip of the iceberg and it's a worldwide issue not just american at this point as the uk and Australia are now screening and seeing potential nutritional dcm cases on these foods. There's multiple other allergy foods out there that are safer. Go with companies that prioritise nutritional research and safety trials not marketing and spin. Most dogs can tolerate carbs just fine,dogs are not wolves and evolved to scavenge from humans. Even homemade is safer is a better bet if you have the time to balance it right.

dreichXmas Sun 08-Dec-19 03:46:49

The FDA is researching grain free dog food which I see has been mentioned.
It is thought it may cause heart issues.

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/news-events/fda-investigation-potential-link-between-certain-diets-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in