Talk

Advanced search

Getting knots out of fur.

(9 Posts)
StillMedusa Mon 02-Dec-19 23:43:16

My 6 month old puppy is a double coated Eurasier.
She's fabulous grin
I brush her most days and her coat is pretty good but she gets knots behind her ears where her fluff is floofy, and she hates me combing them.
I have her booked for a full stripping and groom in January (earliest they could fit me in!) but wondered if anyone has any tools they recommend , or tips!

MaitlandGirl Mon 02-Dec-19 23:44:43

Our papillons get knitted behind their ears so we use a spray leave in conditioner after every combing. It makes it easier to comb out and a lot less painful.

StillMedusa Mon 02-Dec-19 23:46:17

Ooh thanks for that.. do you use a special dog one or a human one?

caringcarer Mon 02-Dec-19 23:51:24

We have 2 Lhasa Apso and they have double fur too. We use Knot Sure by Animalogy. Just spray it in and knots are easier to comb out. We comb to get through both layers of fur and then brush for shine after. If we don't comb twice every day they get knotted and almost always around their ears. They knot up when they sleep.

frostedviolets Tue 03-Dec-19 18:09:10

Mine also gets tangled ears.
I brush daily with a curry comb then a wide tooth comb then a flea comb

pigsDOfly Tue 03-Dec-19 19:06:01

Does your dog have a flat collar? If so it might be worthwhile trying a rolled type collar.

You're more likely to get knots behind the ears with a flat collar than with the rolled type apparently.

frostedviolets Tue 03-Dec-19 19:32:31

My dog wears a rolled leather collar.
Still tangles.
Whether it would be worse though with a flat I don't know

pigsDOfly Tue 03-Dec-19 19:35:14

Ah okay. It was something I read on here years ago so just thought I'd put the suggestion out there.

fastliving Sat 07-Dec-19 06:39:48

My dog gets the odd knot, I just cut them off rather than trying to brush them through which I assume is painful/annoying for her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »