Help! Getting a urine sample from a small dog!

(8 Posts)
ANewDoll Mon 11-Nov-19 15:11:58

I think my Bichon Frise may have a UTI. We are seeing the vets tomorrow and they have asked for a urine sample for testing. She is only about 6 kegs, so a small dog. I would be grateful for any ideas on how to collect a sample from her.

OP’s posts: |
Jouska Mon 11-Nov-19 15:32:02

Get a thin foil tray eg like a take away tray. If you dog is happy to wee on lead have her on lead pop tray under her tail when she wees. Easy smile

Tumtiddlytum Mon 11-Nov-19 16:23:53

We have a Toy Poodle, similar problem. Ask the vet for a sample bottle, explain your difficulty. Sample bottles now have a kind of scoop that screws onto the bottle, this you place under the dog. When you have enough, simply tip up and the sample flows into the bottle.
I have tried many things, including a 99pence small frying pan from Aldi, which worked, but, trying to decent into a bottle was a messy business!

fourquenelles Mon 11-Nov-19 16:39:12

As PP - a small frying pan (the one egg size) slipped underneath worked for me. The vet doesn't need a huge amount so some spillage when decanting into a sample bottle should be OK.

basquiatfan Tue 12-Nov-19 08:38:12

Recent experience. Saucer under dog to collect urine. Pour into jug (not used for food purposes). Pour into sample bottle. My vet gave me a long thin sample bottle which was challenging.

Harrysmummy246 Thu 14-Nov-19 15:13:06

i put a takeaway tray under as min poodle squatted then decanted

spiderlight Fri 15-Nov-19 10:34:10

A ladle works for us.

Advertisement

LimeJellyHead Wed 20-Nov-19 10:47:43

We follow them around the garden with a tupperware tub smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in