Older dog suddenly needing to go out at night

(6 Posts)
Purple09876 Fri 08-Nov-19 12:48:27

My jack Russell is 12 next week and has suddenly started to want to go outside in the night, usually about 2am. Last night it was 4 times.
I've also noticed he seems hungrier and possibly drinking more.
Has anyone had any experience with this?
I've spoken to the vet and will need to have him sedated for them to do tests as he gets very aggressive and stressed.

OP’s posts: |
Jouska Fri 08-Nov-19 17:41:59

I would want a vet check - but shame about him needing to be sedated.

Is it to wee or poo?
Could you take a wee sample to the vet to start with?

You do really need to rule out any medical issues could be a lot of things especially in an older dog.

Needing to drink more is a sign I would also want investigated.

Hope he is ok

Purple09876 Fri 08-Nov-19 18:01:57

Thank you. Its hard to see what he's doing in the garden but I think it's to wee
They did mention probably needing a urine sample which you're right I could ask to take one in. I'll see if I can do that.
He is a pain about going to the vets and we've managed to avoid going very often but his age is catching up with him now

OP’s posts: |
HopelessLayout Sat 09-Nov-19 20:33:19

Get him checked out at the vet and blood tests. It could be nothing or it could be an early sign of something serious!

Tumtiddlytum Mon 11-Nov-19 16:32:38

Our old Poodle started doing this eighteen months ago, she had all the tests, nothing significant came back, accepted that at her age kidney problems might be on the cards. Today, we are in exactly the same place, up every night always once, sometimes two or three times. We have water bowls in every room she occupies.
A sample as suggested, is the first step.
Good luck, hope everything turns out well.

koshkat Sat 16-Nov-19 19:56:22

We had an oldie who started with similar behaviour and he had cushings. Has your dog developed a little pot tummy at all? Any thinning of hair?

In any case I think you will need to brave a vets visit as changes in older dogs' behaviour should never be ignored. Best of luck, I hope that it is nothing serious.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in