Talk

Advanced search

Fleas. Please help!

(13 Posts)
dudsville Wed 06-Nov-19 15:40:07

I can't believe we've never had a flea problem, but we do now. All dogs get monthly treatments (endectrid/ was advocate). It was discovered during today's grooming session (lovely lady with a van comes out monthly so its not been going on too long). So, I've since got some spray from the vets for the house. I've done upstairs, will do downstairs before bed. All that can go in the washing machine is currently in a queue.

I haven't seen a flea off of a dog, ie I've not been bitten or seen any jumping on other surfaces, so I'm hoping we've caught it early.

I've given sponge baths in diluted apple vinegar and put the same in the water bowls, and I've eaten some raw garlic, internet says these things change our ph balance, making us less tasty.

1) what else can I do? I will literally stand on my head reciting Beatles songs backwards if it helps! 2) why do my fleas not look like those on line? The one the groomer showed me was like the ones on line. But since then I've done my own search through the fur coats and what I see looks slim and shiny black. Any advice or coping strategies will be gratefully recieved!

OP’s posts: |
TeacupRex Wed 06-Nov-19 16:21:04

With any luck, it may have just been the one odd flea. Especially if you're up to date with treatments, that flea might have just hopped on recently, rather than the sign of an infestation.

Were the slim, shiny black things you found moving or still? If it was not moving, it may be flea dirt (poo) which would suggest the fleas have been on your dog for quite some time depending on the quantity.

Sounds like you've done pretty much everything you can do - treated the dog and the house, now you just have to wait for them to die off. Easier said than done I know, I've had a few cases of fleas and it's horrible thinking about those disgusting things in your house!

dudsville Wed 06-Nov-19 20:16:54

Thank you teacup, but it was moving! And we've seen more on the dogs. But yes, the house has been treated. Fx!

Topseyt Thu 07-Nov-19 02:34:43

My dogs were up-to-date with their flea treatments, but I found to my cost that the spot on treatments, although mostly pretty good, sometimes don't spread over the whole surface area of the dog's skin. My vet confirmed that.

I was putting them on my labrador as per the manufacturer's instructions, on the back of his neck. He got fleas around his bum. So I got tablets from the vet, spray for the house and began putting the occasional treatment on the lower end of his back. That seemed to do the trick.

dudsville Thu 07-Nov-19 06:59:44

Ooh, tops, I think that tp to put some treatment lower down is a great idea.

GingerRogers84 Thu 07-Nov-19 07:06:37

My dog had harvest mites which only respond to the strong flea spray that the vet prescribed. But it was so strong it was stinging my dog and was taking ages and ages to go. So we did a bit of research and purchased some food grade diatomaceous earth which got rid of the problem in one go. I couldn't believe it!
I read that it can help with fleas too but I'd do some research first and remember to get food grade. Hope you get it sorted.

dudsville Fri 08-Nov-19 22:09:38

ginger, I've actually bought some of that diatomaceous earth but not sure how to use it. What did you do with it?

GingerRogers84 Sat 09-Nov-19 12:05:26

@dudsville I just sprinkled it on my dogs fur and rubbed it into the areas affected.
I've only got a small dog so I did it in the bath but outside would probably be sensible.
It works by dehydrating the critters as the structure of the powered cuts into the insects exoskeletons or something or other.
My mum uses it on her chickens.

frostedviolets Sat 09-Nov-19 12:56:28

Be very careful with diatomaceous earth, as it is such a fine dust it can irritate yours and the dogs lungs if breathed in, it can also make the dogs coat and skin really dry.

I have used it in the past but in the house, on carpets etc rather than on the actual dog.

The vast, vast majority of fleas will be in the house, not on the dog and I am sorry to say that if you are noticing live fleas on the dog, most likely you have a seriously bad infestation of the bastards living in your house.

GingerRogers84 Sun 10-Nov-19 11:51:38

@frostedviolets
Yes indeed. That's another point I forgot to add.
A little does go a very long way and I was treating mites around her toes and pink bits.
This is why it's important for the food grade version too! 😊

dudsville Wed 13-Nov-19 18:14:54

I forgot to come back and say thanks. I still haven't used the D-earth.

I just don't know how we can have an infestation. I never see any. Except on the dogs. I have treated the whole house twice. I've treated the dogs twice so far to flea shampoos - it's such a big job I couldn't imagine doing it more frequently. I had considered doing the d-earth tonight. I'm seeing vastly fewer fleas so this is going some way and I'd hate to do something that caused another problem, with it getting in to their lungs.

dudsville Wed 13-Nov-19 18:15:48

I've heard lots of people say this is a bad flea season.

frostedviolets Wed 13-Nov-19 18:29:48

I just don't know how we can have an infestation. I never see any. Except on the dogs

The adult fleas you see on the dog make up only about 5% of the flea population overall...

The rest of the fleas, babies and eggs are hiding in your clothes, carpets, sofa, floor cracks, skirting boards, beds etc.

If you can see live fleas on the dog, you got many many more infesting your house.

The whole house needs treating, all fabrics washed on a high temperature and tumble dried and the dogs themselves treated with a proper veterinary spot on, not just flea shampoo.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in