Talk

Advanced search

My Beautiful Labrador has gone.

(35 Posts)
Topseyt Sun 03-Nov-19 21:24:26

I am devastated.

He was 15 years old, so had a great innings. His legs and joints finally gave out very suddenly this afternoon and he became unable to support himself or get up.

Just back from the out of hours vet. He is at peace now.

Maybe I will post a picture tomorrow when I can possibly face it.

OP’s posts: |
MuttsNutts Sun 03-Nov-19 21:25:46

I am so very sorry flowers

StillMedusa Sun 03-Nov-19 21:28:32

So sorry. 15 is a good age, but that's no comfort I know. What was his name? Tell us about your boy if you can bear to xxx

Fakeflowersaremynewnormal Sun 03-Nov-19 21:29:57

Aww sorry to hear that you must be really upset flowers

GreenJumperDay Sun 03-Nov-19 21:30:13

so sorry op flowers
we are at the start of our journey with our Lab and it breaks my heart to think he won't be here for ever.
15 years is pretty good tho, you obviously gave him a life full of love.
Please post a pic of him when you are able 💕

Littlestlily Sun 03-Nov-19 21:30:54

So sorry xx I’m sure he was a wonderful boy xx

Herecomethedaffodils Sun 03-Nov-19 21:34:26

💐

SpookilyBadOooooooh Sun 03-Nov-19 21:34:45

@Topseyt I’m so sorry to hear about your boy. It’s heart breaking when they go. But you’ve given him many wonderful years and a kind & living end of life. You were lucky to have each other x

Aposterhasnoname Sun 03-Nov-19 21:37:13

flowers I’m so, so sorry. Tell us about him, I bet he was amazing.

Youonlyhadonejob Sun 03-Nov-19 21:38:02

I am so very sorry. We lost our beautiful old black lab girl due to arthritis at the end of March and I miss her every day so I'm sending unmumsnetty doggy hugs x

QOD Sun 03-Nov-19 21:38:20

I’m so sorry 😐 💐

Topseyt Sun 03-Nov-19 22:01:30

Thank you all.

His name was Charlie. He was our greatest friend for 15 years and leaves a massive hole. A massive labrador sized hole.

He was a real character. I remember one holiday in North Wales near Abersoch. Walking along the beach with him running off lead. He ran around a beached fishing boat, emerged with a carrier bag in his mouth, which I took off him. A man appeared out of nowhere and asked me if my dog had possible eaten his organic bacon fishing bait. Sure enough, the bag was empty. Of course it was. The organic bacon fishing bait was in the labrador.

I'm sure I will remember others.

Topseyt Sun 03-Nov-19 22:14:09

I was trying to eat some food DD3 had prepared for me after we got back this evening. We all just suddenly realised that never again would he be there nudging up beside us at the table hoping to steal some food.

He was also a great partner in crime with our cat, who sadly had to be put to sleep on Christmas morning 2017. I well remember the day that they collaborated to steal a cake that DD1 had baked but not boxed up and put away (despite me telling her). The cat appeared to have jumped up and kicked it down from the worktop and had then joined both dogs (we still have a cocker spaniel) in eating it. None of us humans even got a crumb.

Bonkersblond Sun 03-Nov-19 22:20:09

So very sorry flowers

Topseyt Sun 03-Nov-19 22:20:25

Here he is. Hope it works.

Topseyt Sun 03-Nov-19 22:21:56

Sorry. Will try again tomorrow on my laptop. Posting photos is a bit hit or miss on my phone for some reason.

Littlestlily Sun 03-Nov-19 22:24:26

He sounds like a real character and that he had a truly wonderful life with you xx

XXcstatic Sun 03-Nov-19 22:27:56

I can see the photo- beautiful boy. So sorry for your loss thanks

EarringsandLipstick Sun 03-Nov-19 22:28:30

I'm so sorry @Topseyt

Beautiful dog (photo worked!) & lovely stories. 💐

GreenJumperDay Sun 03-Nov-19 22:44:24

I can't see the photo😞

Topseyt Sun 03-Nov-19 22:55:33

I'm glad the photo worked. For some reason I can't see it on here.

I'm very sad, but in a strange way relieved that I was able to make the decision needed at the time it was needed. I'll never stop missing him. At the moment I am very tearful and can hardly believe he is gone. My greatest friend for 15 years.

Topseyt Sun 03-Nov-19 22:57:03

Why do photos work for some and not for others? I have never understood that. I'll maybe try again tomorrow.

Janus Sun 03-Nov-19 23:01:43

I’m so sorry. I have a 14 year lab that stole an entire birthday cake once!!! I’m dreading this day. 15 is an amazing age. flowerscake !

Namaste6 Sun 03-Nov-19 23:17:54

So sorry OP. 💐💕. As a dog owner myself, I have a lump in my throat reading your posts. Your beautiful lab was a very handsome chap (he looks proud!) and you are absolutely right, he had a wonderful, loved, happy innings. Way to raw at the moment, but in time you'll remember these great times and smile.

purpleme12 Sun 03-Nov-19 23:22:23

I'm so sorry he sounds beautiful and so so cute

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in